Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Visit to Portland, Oregon (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/visit-portland-oregon-t165830.html)

Mazda 11-03-2011 05:06 PM

Visit to Portland, Oregon

My daughter is going on a business's trip to Portland, Oregon nov. 17th thur Nov 21 & I am going with her. What quilt shops should I visit while she is working?

grandmak13231 11-03-2011 06:47 PM

There is a shop called "Fabric Depot" in Portland but I haven't been there but have friends that have and they say it is the place to go. Someday I hope to go but it seems that life gets in the way. They have a website too. I think that it is Fabric Depot.com. I get their sale announcements for the online store and the in store sales. Good luck and enjoy the great northwest. Hope you have good weather.

sxboyer 11-03-2011 06:53 PM

That would be Fabric Depot on 122nd Ave and Stark Street. It is awesome, with over an acre and a half of fabrics. I believe they just closed the 'out door' portion for this year. If is great. I used to pass by on my way home from work every day.... that was not good! They have great sales and an online mailer for sales and coupons!

Charlee 11-03-2011 06:57 PM

Fabric Depot for sure! They also have an online store...but the brick and mortar store is fantastic! There are ACRES of fabrics, notions, and gifts....there's also a sewing machine store there....
It's just a little slice of heaven... :)

amandasgramma 11-03-2011 06:59 PM

Go to Fabric Depot --- there will be no reason to go anywhere else. You have time to get on their mailing list. Every week they send coupons.........you can get 40% off on fabric...........trust me -- it's a MUST DO!!!! I went there for the first time in September and I was totally shocked -- they have name brand fabrics and ACRES of it!!!!

sweetana3 11-04-2011 03:20 AM

We just got back from Portland. Take a list of your supplies needed for Fabric Depot. I was amazed at the diversity of notions as well as fabric. Some things I had not seen elsewhere. But I did not have a list and was overwhelmed. It was great that they dont use the same distributor as all the other national craft stores.

Powells Books downtown has a wonderful quilt book section with good prices. A whole wall of quilt books. Give yourself some time because it is huge. Take a list of any book you are looking for.

A full day bus/train/streetcar pass is $5 and you can ride out to 122nd and then walk about 1/4 mile south to Fabric Depot. We took a long ride on the streetcar around the Pearl District. The Saturday (and sunday) Art Market downtown was worth it. Great food stalls, inexpensive things to buy, great vibe. Very friendly vendors.

If the Farmers Market is going on downtown at the university, it was well worth it. Again great vendors, great stuff, great food. I was very impressed with Portland.

The trains and streetcar were fun and easy to ride. Free all around the downtown area. Fun to do sightseeing this way and save the legs.

Mother's Bistro was a fabulous restaurant downtown. The kind of place where the waiters wear long white aprons, they know the menu, the coffee is very very good. The food is fresh cooked and well presented. Try their homemade jam. Very very busy in the morning on weekends but we got an immediate seat at the bar. We liked it so much we ate there twice. This place is popular. Otherwise be sure and try some of the creative street food stalls.

ywoodruff5 11-04-2011 05:48 AM

I used to attend a quilt retreat every year in Coos Bay when I lived in CA. One of my favorite things to do was visit the Diamond Fabric Store in Cannon Beach, OR on the way. Not only is the store lovely and the people friendly, but the surroundings are awesome - the beach is right across the street. http://www.centerdiamond.com/

grammysharon 11-04-2011 01:02 PM

Fabric Depot is a must and leave yourself plenty of time because it is huge!! I was just there on Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by grandmak13231 (Post 4627964)
There is a shop called "Fabric Depot" in Portland but I haven't been there but have friends that have and they say it is the place to go. Someday I hope to go but it seems that life gets in the way. They have a website too. I think that it is Fabric Depot.com. I get their sale announcements for the online store and the in store sales. Good luck and enjoy the great northwest. Hope you have good weather.

GypsyRse1 11-04-2011 06:07 PM

No sales tax in Oregon and you must visit "Fabric Depot" and allow hours to lookie loo. Enjoy!! Also if you have time you might want to visit http://www.knittnkitten.com/ a small vintage store that is wall to wall with amazing stuff. I got in there and kept finding things I needed to take home with me...

barblr 11-05-2011 07:29 AM

You can spend a lot of time at Fabric Depot, huge store, always something on sale. When I'm in the area a couple times a year I have to have my Fabric Depot fix, also order on-line from them, they just had their 50% sale on the Warm and Natural batting I use. Have fun, I miss the Great NW and those beautiful mountains.