Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   VW quilt for new grandbaby (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/vw-quilt-new-grandbaby-t286878.html)

Teddybear Lady 03-17-2017 10:04 PM

VW quilt for new grandbaby

1 Attachment(s)
Trying to finish this. If the picture comes through, I have some questions.

Teddybear Lady 03-17-2017 10:13 PM

Yay it came through! My question is...since I have applied heat and bond to the cutouts and ironed them to the background, do I need to use some kind of stabilizer behind the cutouts when I satin stitch around them? The VW is 18 inches tall. Also, see that spot on the bumper. The heat and bond didn't stick for some reason and I sprayed a little basting spray and now this happened. I have more fabric so I'm thinking I'll just redo the bumper because I didn't know if that spot would wash out. I posted pictures the other day about my newborn grandson, Asher Jude. The theme of his room is VW's. My son and DIL picked out this design and bought the fabric. I've dragged my feet on making this because I want it to be what they wanted. Any suggestions welcome, but please be nice. I'm very stressed right now and cry easily. The quilt is 36 inches across and 60 inches long. That's what my son drew out for me.
Thanks for any help you can offer
Debbie
Grammie :)

DebbieJJ 03-17-2017 11:19 PM

From one Debbie to another, I don't have any answers to your questions. I just wanted to say that I love what you did with the applique! Maybe, if nothing else, you can put a bumper sticker with the baby's name on it to cover the spot you mentioned. And congratulations on having a healthy, beautiful new grandson!

QM 03-18-2017 12:18 AM

I love your VW bus and I'm sure your DGS will too. I think a bumper sticker sounds like a great idea. I doubt that you need additional stabilizer.

Betty J 03-18-2017 12:31 AM

I would use some stabilizer behind your VW applique. I am not sure where you would find it in the US but here I have an iron on paper that I buy from Echidna Products. It is intended as a stabilizer for machine embroidery but I have used it successfully for machine applique. Otherwise there is a paper product called stitch & tear used in heirloom stitching that could be used. Also I believe freezer paper would work. As a last resort you could use a non greasy lunch wrap which I have also used a long time ago. I hope this is helpful.

grma33 03-18-2017 02:12 AM

yes use stablizer tear away or iron on
very cute
Gale

rryder 03-18-2017 02:53 AM

Sulky makes a wash away stabilizer, it's sticky on one side. You stick it to the back, sew around your shape and when you're done making your quilt, wash it and the stabilizer goes away. You can find it pretty easily at on-line stores, or if you do a google search on wash away stabilizer you'll find it at a variety of on-line stores. I get mine through Amazon. There's another company (Pellon I think) that makes a heavy wash away that I've been using as well. That one is also available on-line (I get that one through Amazon as well).

Rob

Karamarie 03-18-2017 03:49 AM

Bumper sticker for sure. Great idea.

quilterpurpledog 03-18-2017 04:05 AM

I would certainly use a stabilizer before satin stitching around that absolutely wonderful VW. It will definitely enhance your stitches. Could you do it without the stabilizer because you used Heat and Bond-maybe, but why take the chance? It is better to be safe than sorry.

PatPitter 03-18-2017 04:11 AM

Very cute! I agree with the bumper sticker idea for the spot.

I would make a small sample of the fabrics and heat and bond to try satin stitching on to determine if you need stabilizer. Much better to mess up scrap fabric than your beautiful quilt top. It will also help you make sure your machine settings (tension, stitch width, stitch length) are right.

Congratulations to your family on the new addition :)