Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wal-Mart Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wal-mart-fabric-t23025.html)

mochasue 07-20-2009 02:05 PM

I had to make a baby quilt in a hurry this weekend and the only place that was open was Wal-Mart. I bought some fabric in 100% cotton and also in flannel. When I got home and started making the quilt I was amazed at how crappy the fabric was. It was thin and the color was uneven. The flannel was horrible. You could actually see through it. The fibers would pull apart on the flannel. I ended up just finishing the quilt and I am just going to donate to a local women's shelter. I will wait until after work today and go to my local fabric shop and get good fabric to make the other baby quilt.

Have you ever noticed that about Wal-Mart fabric?

Maribeth 07-20-2009 02:12 PM

It depends on the fabric you choose to purchase and the store stock. Some of it isn't the best quality and some of it is actually quite nice. I have some that has washed and held up quite nice. I really look at it though and before I spend my money I make sure it is good quality stuff.

mochasue 07-20-2009 02:18 PM

I guess I should have been more careful in my selection. I'm sure they have better quality than what I purchased. It was only $2.97/yard. I'm sure they had more expensive stuff. You get what you pay for.

Up North 07-20-2009 02:38 PM

I do notice that with the baby childrens prints, our WM has a back wall with really nice baby children selection and nice fabric some of the others is crooked and thin. Ours also has great flannel. I made a lot of burp cloths and it didn't shrink like the stuff I got at Joanns. I think the flannel was close to 4$ a yard.

QuiltMania 07-20-2009 02:53 PM

Depends on the fabric itself not on where you buy it or price in my opinion. I've bought fabric from Walmart, Joanns and local quilt shops. Some has been wonderful and some has been garbage -- from all locations and in all price ranges. You really have to look closely and feel the fabric no matter where you shop.

Lacelady 07-20-2009 02:58 PM

Is this a case of... Never mind the width, feel the quality?

BellaBoo 07-20-2009 04:12 PM

Before WalMart closed the fabric dept. here, I would buy the $6 a yard fabric. It was very nice 100% cotton. It wasn't on the quilt fabric wall. I have no complaint with WalMart cheaper fabric and have many utility quilts that have been in use for years and still going strong made from WalMart bargain fabric. Now flannel or fleece I don't waste my time with the less quality stuff. It isn't worth it.

foxxigrani 07-21-2009 04:57 AM

I bought some white on white at Joanns a while back it was thin and I could hardly work with it. I went to WM and bought the same exact fabric and pattern, there was no comparison. the fabric I bought at WM was QS quality compared to Joanns. But as stated before, you have to be careful of all of thier fabric. Be sure and look to see what you are buying. Some are good some are not so good and they all say 100% cotton. Hope this helps you.

Rita

bearisgray 07-21-2009 05:22 AM

Unfortunately, much of this learned by experience.

RedGarnet222 07-21-2009 06:01 AM

I agree ... you really have to pay attention to the fabric, no matter where you buy it thinking. Hancock has some good fabrics on the shelves too.