Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wal Mart (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wal-mart-t163596.html)

Amythyst02 10-27-2011 03:59 AM

As we have discussed many times recently the fabric departments have returned. What I had noticed was the lack of fabric though. It seems only a few bolts were on the shelves and no one around to "cut" what you did find there. But....

Yesterday I was there to pick up a few other things and wandered over to the fabric area! All the shelves were fully stocked with fabric. In fact it was stuffed with fabric. Not only that but there was a clerk in the area. I chatted with her and she told me, that she had been assigned to take care of the fabric area, and that area alone. She would always be there!! Ok, so I guess they are listening. That has been one of my major complaints, since they brought fabric back, having to wait 30-40 minutes to get fabric cut, does not make for a happy customer.

So I guess it did take them a while to get the fabrics in, and to get organized, but it certainly looks promising. And yes I know there are some that they the quality is not as good as the LQS but, in my case, its a heck of alot closer, and not quite as expensive.

raptureready 10-27-2011 04:03 AM

Perhaps brain cells have come back to the owners of Walmart afterall. Although I must admit that I seldom ever go there any more. Our local Walmarts seem to not be stocked well, are rather dirty and the produce they carry practically rots on the way home.

grammysews4u 10-27-2011 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Perhaps brain cells have come back to the owners of Walmart afterall. Although I must admit that I seldom ever go there any more. Our local Walmarts seem to not be stocked well, are rather dirty and the produce they carry practically rots on the way home.

I agree about the produce! The store here has fabric but no groups at the moment. New gal and they didnt bother to tell her she could order fabric!

chairjogger 10-27-2011 04:42 AM

for quilters on a major budget.. The fabric is fun to use. I use this fabric for those quilts that will be used by little kids. The speciality fabrics are great there !

yeah !

DixieLee 10-27-2011 04:43 AM

Most of the Walmarts around me do not have fabric but a couple do. I find you got to look through the fabric and can sometimes find some real good quality. Like some others, I am retired and cannot always buy the more expensive fabric in the quilt shops. Got to shop for a deal most of the time. I am glad to hear that fabric seems to be "coming back" to some places. Would love that.

leatheflea 10-27-2011 05:12 AM

We have about a fourth of what we had before and the cutting table is smaller than what I use at home, and theres never anyone there to cut. They still carry the pre cuts. Personally I think they have a long way to go before they get to where they were. But I still look and have bought a few things.

Amythyst02 10-27-2011 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready

Produce and meats I seldom purchase at Wal Mart. I would rather pay the slightly higher prices at Safeway or Frys. At least I know its good. Canned items, and boxed you cannot go wrong with though, but you do need to watch the expiration dates! Luckily our closest Wal Mart is fairly new and it is very clean and bright. However, I did notice a lack of stock even in the grocery area, the selection seemed to dwindle down to just a few brands. I have noticed that changing as well.

Amythyst02 10-27-2011 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
We have about a fourth of what we had before and the cutting table is smaller than what I use at home, and theres never anyone there to cut. They still carry the pre cuts. Personally I think they have a long way to go before they get to where they were. But I still look and have bought a few things.

Those were the same issues at our Wal Mart until this week, and there have been alot of changes. Just keep watching, hopefully your store will improve with time. Also, mention it to the manager, that the fabric does not cut itself, and waiting 30-40 minutes to get it cut, is not great customer service. That is why they lose so many fabric customers. I did that everytime I had to wait. I have even had the Mgr of the store cut fabric for me!!!

QuiltnNan 10-27-2011 05:36 AM

how nice to have the 'old department' back. i wouldn't mind so much that there is not a clerk in the department, but would appreciate a bell or buzzer that someone responds to quickly!

athomenow 10-27-2011 06:01 AM

If you don't like the way your WalMart is stocked or if it's dirty please get online and complain to the only people who can make it better. Companies would rather hear what's going on in a store than lose customers. I think the outcry over the fabric has brought it back. You can do the same thing about dirt or disorganized or cluttered or whatever is bothering you if you really want to shop there. I worked in JoAnns stores and believe me the customer has some clout!
Off my soapbox now.
Our MalMarts around here have the better fabric for 5.44, some for 4.97 and then alot of fabric for 3.97. The quality while isn't what some of you would consider really good quilting fabric is what alot of people can afford. I'm glad they're back in the fabric business.