Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   walking foot question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-question-t214466.html)

malindaann 02-21-2013 03:27 PM

walking foot question

hello there,
looking for opinons.
I have never used a walking foot before but got one for xmas. works great on longer runs or bigger pieces but on 1.5" or 2" pieces I'm thinking its overkill and is not needed. Experiencing some fabrics getting eaten. i tried a leader but still wondering if its not a good use for little pieces. what do you think?
still a real novice and working up my nerve to try some smaller piecing that really requies some precision.

ckcowl 02-21-2013 03:30 PM

are you trying to quilt (sandwiched with backing & batting) 1 1/2" & 2" pieces of fabric????
the walking foot is generally used for straight line quilting on sandwiched pieces- it walks along on the thicker layers- where a regular foot may cause puckering/pulling. some people use their walking foot for the bindings too-again multiple layers.

malindaann 02-21-2013 03:50 PM

hmmm. interesting. i thought it was for 1/4 inch seams. that edge that is on it must be a regulator instead of some sort. thanks for explaining!

nativetexan 02-21-2013 03:53 PM

i usually don't use mine to piece. just to quilt. i use my 1/4 foot to piece. and binding i may use the 1/4 foot or another or even the walking foot.

thimblebug6000 02-21-2013 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by malindaann (Post 5878808)
hmmm. interesting. i thought it was for 1/4 inch seams. that edge that is on it must be a regulator instead of some sort. thanks for explaining!

Just out of curiosity, what machine do you have? It would be good to see the foot you are using.

pinkcastle 02-21-2013 04:34 PM

I don't use my walking foot to piece, but I do use it to sew on borders, bindings and to quilt straight lines. If I have rows of blocks to piece together, I'll use it for that too.

Emma S 02-21-2013 04:45 PM

A walking foot is mainly for thicker pieces where the bottom layer would creep away from the top layer. As others have said, it is great for binding, straight line quilting or quilt as you go projects.

Silver Needle 02-21-2013 04:45 PM

I don't use my walking foot to piece either. But I wouldn't be without it when attaching binding.

TexasSunshine 02-21-2013 05:10 PM

I use my walking foot for everything. I have a older Pfaff with the IDT that is attached and you engaged it when needed and disengage when not. I like that type better than the big walking foot like my Brother has that you have to take on and off. I use the walking foot engaged with my 1/4 inch foot.

Buckeye Rose 02-21-2013 05:24 PM

I use the walking foot for piecing, bindings, straight-line quilting....yup, just about everything.....the walking foot helps to eliminate one layer pulling faster than the other, regardless of thickness