Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Walking foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-t97269.html)

Decoratenu 02-06-2011 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by sewn3w
I also have a walking foot I am having trouble with. It is difficult to attach. It is the correct foot, I took my machine in to the shop for a cleaning and we put the foot on there. The sales staff is very knowlegable and helpful. But after I got home realized there are no instructions to help me learn how to use it. No helpful hints, nothing. Augh!!!!

I'd take it back to the shop & get the to teach you how to put the foot on (& not just do it for you!) -- and then test it, so you'll know what's right. Good luck!

Vanuatu Jill 02-06-2011 12:34 PM

oh yea, I forgot, I ALWAYS use it for sewing on binding to the quilt-then hand-stitch to the back. What a difference with the walking foot!!

Momma_K 02-06-2011 12:37 PM

Oh Wow!Hate to hear that Jennifer! I don't have one and want to get one. I wouldn't know where to start to get one. I have the Brother Project Runway series only it's like that kind, not the Runway Series it'self, but it's just like it. Make sense? I've been wondering if I could get one for my machine and how much they cost. Anyone know? I just found out I'm going to be a great Aunt 3 times over! So, I'll be doing blankets for a while outside of making one for my Gr8t GD! I'm so blessed!

Dingle 02-06-2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Momma_K
Oh Wow!Hate to hear that Jennifer! I don't have one and want to get one. I wouldn't know where to start to get one. I have the Brother Project Runway series only it's like that kind, not the Runway Series it'self, but it's just like it. Make sense? I've been wondering if I could get one for my machine and how much they cost. Anyone know? I just found out I'm going to be a great Aunt 3 times over! So, I'll be doing blankets for a while outside of making one for my Gr8t GD! I'm so blessed!

I have 2 of the PRW machines and the SQ-9000. All of them use the same generic walking foot. The SQ came with one but I bought the other one from Overstock. The Overstock one is the same foot that came with the SQ.

Jennifer22206 02-06-2011 12:49 PM

I drove 45 minutes to the LQS I like to get it, they showed me how to put it on my machine and it worked for about 15 stitches there. I tried it at home, and it was on the correct way and then the arm fell off. I called the shop again, but "you took it out of the shop, not our problem"

So I called other places to see if I had the right one, and I did, actually got the most help out of Joanns. Took the machine and the foot there, and it completely fell apart.

The feed dogs were up, I did everything right, but it didn't work. I'll never buy another one. Total waste. I'm better off with my hands on each side of the fabric. Been doing it that way for years.

DogHouseMom 02-06-2011 12:51 PM

It's a must for me. Not only for quilting straight lines, but for binding and for sewing long straight strips instead of pinning them. It prevents the top fabric from walking forward ahead of the machine.

Prettiptibbs 02-06-2011 12:55 PM

I bought a walking foot for my Bernina ( very pricey) but it has been a great help when piecing and alaso when when sewing slippery fabrics. Also great for mathching plaid!. Could not live without it. Just wish I could find one for my old Necchi. Just make sure you get the right one for your machine.

Vanuatu Jill 02-06-2011 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I drove 45 minutes to the LQS I like to get it, they showed me how to put it on my machine and it worked for about 15 stitches there. I tried it at home, and it was on the correct way and then the arm fell off. I called the shop again, but "you took it out of the shop, not our problem"

So I called other places to see if I had the right one, and I did, actually got the most help out of Joanns. Took the machine and the foot there, and it completely fell apart.

The feed dogs were up, I did everything right, but it didn't work. I'll never buy another one. Total waste. I'm better off with my hands on each side of the fabric. Been doing it that way for years.

Sounds like you just got a lemon-I have had my first one (a Brother) for years and it works great-It even fits my new machine (all Brother machines seem to have inter-changable parts-at least my 2 Brothers do), although the new Project Runway comes with one, so I have the old one as a spare.

Tamara 02-06-2011 12:59 PM

Thanks everyone, I just finished a king size quilt top and I need to start quilting it, but I'll wait until I go to town on tuesday so I can go by my LQS to pick one up.

ibequilting1 02-06-2011 01:01 PM

I always use my walking foot,makes sewing so much easier and feeds the top,batting and backing at the same speed.