Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wanted to share some things I'm excited about... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wanted-share-some-things-im-excited-about-t173273.html)

quiltingal 12-27-2011 06:23 AM

I use my serger for quick baby quilts. Found the instructions on Kaye Wood web site. They are quick and easy.

huntannette 12-27-2011 06:28 AM

Wow....awesome....i serge all my quilts before I put the binding....makes it so much easier...enjoy your new machine!!!

railroad 12-27-2011 06:31 AM

I use my serger, which I bought at a thrift store, to make pillowcases each year for the grandchildren. I use Christmas fabrics and they receive them at Thanksgiving. They are now in college, some of them, and still love getting them! THey use them all year round. Carolyn in Minnesota

gramarraine 12-27-2011 06:33 AM

I got my first serger so many years ago I can't remember and then I wanted one that did a cover stitch so I bought another one in 98. I still use either one or both when making garments. Wouldn't be without one.

jaciqltznok 12-27-2011 06:36 AM

I love my serger..but sadly don't use it much any more...no room to drag it out...might have to change that, as I have some curtains/valances to sew!

fabricfairy 12-27-2011 06:36 AM

good for you shouldnt be to hard to find a manual

Mickey1 12-28-2011 12:04 PM

I'd like to find one too. I would love to be able to serge the sides of my quilts before I put the binding on. Sure would like to find a deal like you did.

Happy New Year to everyone!

RedGarnet222 12-28-2011 12:15 PM

My serger is set up for the cut/overcast all the time. Because that is what I use it for.

But, many quilt stores offer classes that show you how to do much more with them. I use mine constantly when I am sewing home dec or clothing. They finish off anything with a lovely edge that makes the garment (or home dec item) highly washable and like you would find in a store.

The threads are easy to change. Just pull up the tension foot lever, place the new colored cones in place of the other thread, clip them just above the spool, leaving the thread in place in the machine, tie on the other color to each hanging thread and pull them through the disks untill you get to the serger base where the needle is. Re-thread the needle and hold all the threads together, put the foot back down, chain a long chain and it is ready for you to serge fabric again in your new color.

AshleyR 12-28-2011 12:44 PM

Singer website had the manual and I printed it up for free. I did print the threading section in color, but only printed the English pages and in black and white so it wasn't too bad. I had to do the same thing with my Singer sewing machine, so I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into!

I still need to clean her up. She's very dusty on the outside, but seems quite clean on the inside.