Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   WARNING FRIXION PENS (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/warning-frixion-pens-t108544.html)

amandasgramma 09-26-2011 05:50 PM

These were being sold at the 2011 NW Quilters Expo....there ARE some things to consider. One thought --we live in an area where the temps drop to 20 below at night --- would not be far-fetched to believe the quilt I'm sending out just might be left in the PO overnight --- therefore -- my quilts MAY be in a "freezer"

More than one sales booth had these pens and all of them said the same thing:

1) the ink does NOT go into the fabric --- it "floats" on top. So no worry there.

2) if you don't wash the quilt after it's finished (like my customer quilts aren't washed by me) then use a steamer and steam the ink off. They ALL assured me the ink would not show up later on. They were ALL emphatic that just ironing will not guarantee the ink disappears forever.

Note: I haven't tried it yet ----- don't blame me if anything goes wrong, I'm just the messenger

blessingscounted 09-26-2011 05:57 PM

Thank you for confirming a question I had at a show here in Denver this summer - the pen was all the rage and the vendor
wouldn't (said they didn't know - HA!) give me a straight answer about what happens when it was in the freezer. The pens weren't in any specific factory packaging. Now my concern has been addressed. Thank you for taking the time to give us the long version of your experiment.

countrycottage 09-26-2011 06:07 PM

Thanks for the warning.

Halfsquare 09-26-2011 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
These were being sold at the 2011 NW Quilters Expo....there ARE some things to consider. One thought --we live in an area where the temps drop to 20 below at night --- would not be far-fetched to believe the quilt I'm sending out just might be left in the PO overnight --- therefore -- my quilts MAY be in a "freezer"

More than one sales booth had these pens and all of them said the same thing:

1) the ink does NOT go into the fabric --- it "floats" on top. So no worry there.

2) if you don't wash the quilt after it's finished (like my customer quilts aren't washed by me) then use a steamer and steam the ink off. They ALL assured me the ink would not show up later on. They were ALL emphatic that just ironing will not guarantee the ink disappears forever.

Note: I haven't tried it yet ----- don't blame me if anything goes wrong, I'm just the messenger

I agree - the ink doesn't go INTO the fabric but sort of floats on top. But I will either wash or steam quilts that I use the pen on. Even so - I do wonder if there is a time in which it will no longer wash off. I guess time will tell. All I can say is that I am doing applique that is not symmetrical and it is complicated. I don't know how anyone could do this without a pen like this.

Dena789 09-27-2011 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by roxannebcb
I don't know how anyone could do this without a pen like this.

I just use a light box or the window... a solution that has worked for a century.

117becca 09-28-2011 02:35 AM

If one is concerned about the ink in the frixion pen, wouldn't the concern of the ink in the fabric would be the same for any of the marker type pens?

quilts4charity 09-28-2011 02:39 AM

Oh yes, one of the girls was using these at our July quiltfest and someone told us this same info. Very weird!!!

Halfsquare 09-28-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca
If one is concerned about the ink in the frixion pen, wouldn't the concern of the ink in the fabric would be the same for any of the marker type pens?

Great point.!!!

dltaylor 09-28-2011 08:49 AM

very interesting!!

LadyElisabeth 09-28-2011 09:06 AM

thanks for the information