Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   wash batting?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wash-batting-t30706.html)

Kyiav10 12-02-2009 06:13 AM

I want to get my B&Y lap quilts sandwiched. Do I need to wash the batting first since the fabric is preshrunk??

Thank you,

Kyia

amma 12-02-2009 06:31 AM

If you do not want/like the crinkly look to your quilt, I would atleast spray it down well and toss it in the dryer.

Ninnie 12-02-2009 06:32 AM

I have never washed my batting, so can't really advise you.

bearisgray 12-02-2009 06:55 AM

I've washed my warm and natural cotton batting - I didn't measure it first, so I don't know if it shrank or not

I bought some Quilter's Dream - and the BACK of the label said "Do not wash" - shrinkage less than one percent - I was not impressed with this when I took it out of the package

The polyester ones - I would not wash

Kyiav10 12-02-2009 08:01 AM

hmmm, I threw away the package that it came in. I think I will not wash it until after it is quilted. Will see how it goes. I hope it does not get all bunched up.

Thank you all for your responses.

Kyia

sewNso 12-02-2009 08:06 AM

I PUT MY WARM AND NATURAL IN THE WASHER WITH WARM WATER, BUT DO NOT LET IT AGITATE. I JUST LET IT SET COVERED IN WARM WATER FOR AN HOUR OR SO. THEN DRAIN THE WATER, AND SPIN. THEN I FLIP IT CAREFULLY OVER A DOOR IN THE WASHROOM AND LET IT DRY. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS HELPS OR NOT. DIDN'T REALLY LIKE IT WHEN I PUT IT IN THE DRYER ON LOW HEAT. DIDN'T HURT THE BATTING THO.

Scissor Queen 12-02-2009 10:55 AM

Do not "wash" batting. You will end up with the world's largest cotton ball and it will be totally useless for batting.

If you wish to _pre-shrink_ batting put it in the washer and fill with hot water. Turn the washer off and let it sit for 15 minutes. Turn the dial to spin and turn the washer back on. After the water has spun out put the batting in the dryer on high. Check it after 10 minutes or so. You will probably have to unwind it and put the damp sides to the outside.

ai731 12-02-2009 12:38 PM

I use a thin 70% cotton / 30% poly batting for lap quilts. I wash it on delicate in cold water and line dry it (we don't have a tumble dryer). It shrinks a bit, and comes out nice and soft and pliable. I pre-wash all my fabrics and my batting, then I wash the quilt again once it's finished. I like quilts to be nice and soft and cuddly when I gift them. I don't know if 100% cotton batting washes as well. Your quilt will probably come out "crinkly" if you don't wash it at all, though.

Jan

littlehud 12-02-2009 06:33 PM

I have never washed my batting. But I like the crinkled look.

sewfunquilts 12-02-2009 10:32 PM

Why????

I love the look of a quilt after it is finished, wash it, dry it....and it's soft, a little crinkly from the stitching. Remember......it's a quilt, not a smooth sheet.

Again, it's like washing your fabric, more a preference & choice.......rather than a 'RULE'.