Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing before selling? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-before-selling-t92920.html)

sushi 01-22-2011 05:36 PM

To me, it's a matter of ethics. Since quilts are meant to be used - even as wall hangings - they will eventually need to be washed. The customer/recipient should not be unpleasantly surprised by the results of that first wash.

I always wash my fabrics and then starch them rather heavily. Because of the starch, they MUST be washed before presentation. I always toss in a "Color Grabber," and I'm always amazed by how much color it grabs! I'm considering giving future recipients a "Color Grabber" along with each quilt.

Jan in VA 01-22-2011 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
That's a toughy. I think that any fabric once washed looses it "new" look and feel. If I was buying something, even handmade, I would want it to look new!

That's the very reason I DO wash quilts before gifting or selling them....BECAUSE I want it to look old-fashioned/cuddly/not new, LOL!

Vive La Différence!

Jan in VA

deema 01-22-2011 05:42 PM

Should I ever make a quilt for sale, I would absolutely wash it before selling. I use a lot of "crap" putting my quilts together, like I said in the baby quilt thread. People have so many different sensitivities, at least if I wash it in a scent and dye free detergent, whoever is getting my quilt (whether it's a gift or a purchase) is wrapping up with a minimized risk of irritants. I do (and will) tell my quilt recipients that I did launder the quilt using "this" detergent, these are the washing instructions for reference.

CarrieAnne 01-22-2011 05:53 PM

I wash mine too. With all the pets here, I would not want any stray pet hairs on it.

Maggie_1963 01-22-2011 06:13 PM

I just finished a prayer quilt today, and I washed it in Cheer Free & Gentle, no fragrance or dyes, and dried on low heat in the dryer until just damp, now laying flat to finish drying..am including laundering and care instructions to the recipient, including storing and folding your quilt.

KrystelsQuilts 01-22-2011 06:17 PM

I quilt and sell sewing machine covers and I definately wash them before I sell them. Same reasons as above. If going to have an issue I much rather it be while still with me and I definately use color catchers. They are a must in every wash.

leatheflea 01-22-2011 07:04 PM

I alway wash as soon as I finish, that way theres no surprises.

DebraK 01-22-2011 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Whether you wash them before giving them away is up to you, but if you're going to SELL it, yes, by all means, wash it first. If for no other reason than you want it sparkling clean! :shock:

yep!

sewwhat85 01-22-2011 10:37 PM

i vote on the washing also

chamby 01-23-2011 05:21 AM

Sometimes I wash before giving away.Other times I do not. I am not worried about the fabric. I prewash all my fabrics before using.