Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   washing fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-fabric-t60925.html)

Fancy Nancy 08-23-2010 06:59 AM

i have noticed from the threads on "how neat are you" that many prewash and iron new fabric before using. the only fabrics i have done this with are ones that i am afraid will run like black, red, purple etc. is it really necessary? what if 1/2 of fabric in quilt is prewashed and other pieces are not. will it "shrink" unevenly? I am just curious b/c I have been told both ways - wash and not wash.

M.E.H. 08-23-2010 07:05 AM

I always wash my fabric.

gollytwo 08-23-2010 07:08 AM

My older fabric was all washed; not so fabric bought in the last few years.
Have used them together, no problems.
If I'm making a dark quilt, I don't even bother prewashing fabrics I know will bleed.

Melinda in Tulsa 08-23-2010 10:14 AM

I'm too lazy to wash my fabric! It's all I can do to keep up on the laundry.

amma 08-23-2010 10:23 AM

I would either prewash everything or nothing. I would hate for some of the fabric to shrink and not the others after the quilt is completed.

Helen20906 08-23-2010 02:03 PM

Always wash my fabrics before using. Recently made a baby quilt and reached into the drawer and snipped fabric from a fabric collection that was tied together with a ribbon and tag. Didn't occur to me that I hadn't washed nor used any of my charm packs or jellyrolls because they are put together in such a tidy package. Also, had used adhesive spray to baste the quilt (it was great) and decided to wash the quilt when completed because it was going to a newborn -- that unwashed fabric bled. So sad. Still haven't figured out what to do with the jellyrolls, etc. because they will be difficult to prewash.

SueDor 08-23-2010 02:45 PM

I always wash my fabric.

moonwolf23 08-23-2010 02:51 PM

Don't bother to wash my fabric unless it is a batik.

sewcrafty 08-23-2010 03:29 PM

Its really depends on the look that you're going for. If you really like the old antique look then don't wash. More shrinkage = more puckering. I do also like that look, but still wash and let the cotton batting then do the puckering for me. Still a little bit of pucker which is enough for me.

I wash, dry and fold - I don't iron or starch until I'm ready to use.

Annaquilts 08-23-2010 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Helen20906
Always wash my fabrics before using. Recently made a baby quilt and reached into the drawer and snipped fabric from a fabric collection that was tied together with a ribbon and tag. Didn't occur to me that I hadn't washed nor used any of my charm packs or jellyrolls because they are put together in such a tidy package. Also, had used adhesive spray to baste the quilt (it was great) and decided to wash the quilt when completed because it was going to a newborn -- that unwashed fabric bled. So sad. Still haven't figured out what to do with the jellyrolls, etc. because they will be difficult to prewash.

Try retayne. Was it "home" dyed fabric? I bought some yrs ago and am scared to use it eventhough I treated it with retayne.