Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   washing finished quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-finished-quilts-t225674.html)

SherriB 07-12-2013 05:03 PM

I always wash my quilts when they are finished. I am another one who loves the crinkly look of the quilt after it is washed and dried.

w7sue 07-12-2013 05:08 PM

I had never thought of washing quilts after they are finished. There are many great reasons to do so and maybe I will start. All the quilts that are used in my home are washed and dried when necessary. There is one hanging on the clothesline right now since my 14 year-old dog had a horrible accident on it during the middle of the night - it actually went into my washer for a hot water wash! It did just fine and smells so much better now ... lol. Before anyone gets worried about it being on the clothesline, part of my line stays in the shade all day so it is ok.

Tartan 07-12-2013 05:12 PM

​When I wash, I block my quilt to finish drying. If I send a quilt unwashed I include a box of colour catchers and care instructions.

Nilla 07-12-2013 05:15 PM

I used to not wash my quilts before giving them away, then I did a pantograph on one and left a slight gap between 2 rows by mistake. I free handed a design on it to blend in, which actually worked out really well, but still I wasn't quite happy with it so I washed it and it crinkled up just enough that I'm sure no one but me will ever notice my mistake.

Recently I used wool batting for the first time. After it was washed it got super crinkly. I'm a little disappointed because I went to a lot of trouble to make a pretty feathery design and you can't really see it because it got so crinkly. It is fluffy though, which is nice.

Peckish 07-12-2013 05:16 PM

I do wash my finished quilts, for all the reasons listed above plus one: I want the quilt to look how it will look for the rest of its life. I gave an unwashed quilt to a family member a few years ago, after she washed it she returned it to me because it had crinkled (quite nicely, I might add) and she thought she'd ruined it.

Jackie Spencer 07-12-2013 05:18 PM

If I am making a quilt to enter in a Quilt Show, I check before washing. Some Shows do not want them to be washed. Clean and all loose threads removed. But do not pre wash.

Stitchnripper 07-12-2013 05:33 PM

I always machine wash and dry because I don't think any of the recipients would take any special care so I do the regular wash/dry first

mighty 07-12-2013 05:43 PM

I have not washed but if I am giving to someone else I include color catchers and instructions.

Jingle 07-12-2013 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6173994)
I ALWAYS - last step after binding is tossing the quilt in the washer- then the dryer----every quilt---every time---I want to see how it comes out before it goes to whom ever it is going to...

Exactly what I do too!!!! My thoughts exactly. Want to see if it turns out okay.

Scissor Queen 07-12-2013 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 6174163)
If I am making a quilt to enter in a Quilt Show, I check before washing. Some Shows do not want them to be washed. Clean and all loose threads removed. But do not pre wash.

Several of the big name quilters wash and block their quilts before putting the binding on. If you don't dry it in the dryer they don't shrink up as much and still look new.