Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   washing finished quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-finished-quilts-t225674.html)

sherlstar 07-12-2013 02:40 PM

washing finished quilts

When the quilt is completely finished, do you wash it? I am nervous about doing this.

ckcowl 07-12-2013 03:04 PM

I ALWAYS - last step after binding is tossing the quilt in the washer- then the dryer----every quilt---every time---I want to see how it comes out before it goes to whom ever it is going to...

ktbb 07-12-2013 03:04 PM

I always wash mine before giving away or displaying. I want to know that it will be all right when it's washed and not have the recipient get a surprise.

MaryStoaks 07-12-2013 03:48 PM

I always machine wash on delicate setting with cool water and a small amount of regular detergent. I dry quilts in the dryer set for cotton. I want to know if there are any problems with it before sending to my friends and family. I know the quilt will get rougher treatment in my kids house. Also I like the crinkle!:thumbup:

Traditional Quilter 07-12-2013 04:24 PM

I am a hand quilter so by the time I finish a quilt it is quite dirty and must be washed. I wash mine in the machine with Dreft detergent and lots of color catchers.

Traditional Quilter 07-12-2013 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Traditional Quilter (Post 6174069)
I am a hand quilter so by the time I finish a quilt it is quite dirty and must be washed. I wash mine in the machine with Dreft detergent and lots of color catchers.

I forgot to add that I usually dry my quilts in the dryer. However, the exception is the one I'm finishing now. I'll wash it, but plan to dry flat so that I can block it.

hopetoquilt 07-12-2013 04:31 PM

My sons daycare quilt (Irish chain) that was machine pieced and machine quilted has been washed at least 70x and is still looking great.

NJ Quilter 07-12-2013 04:49 PM

Another hand quilter here who ends up with really dirty quilts by the time I'm done. I always toss mine in the washer, normal detergent, perm. press cycle. Then toss in the dryer on the perm. press setting as well. I prewash my fabric so don't normally use color catchers at that point. Although I've had to in the past. Had a green that just would not stop bleeding after being completed. Finally gifted the quilt with a box of color catchers and instructions to use them with each wash.

ArlaJo 07-12-2013 04:53 PM

I always wash my quilts before they leave my house.. I have pets and maybe whoever is getting this one is allergic....And if its going to fall apart, I better know it.

dunster 07-12-2013 05:00 PM

I look forward to washing EVERY quilt as soon as the binding is finished. Washing gets out any starch that I used while making the quilt, and the quilting often looks better after the quilt is washed. I wash in cold water, gentle cycle, and tumble dry with low heat. Often I take the quilt out of the dryer while it's a little bit damp and lay it out on the floor to finish drying.