Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing Machine or Laundromat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-machine-laundromat-t68675.html)

EmsMom 10-06-2010 09:29 AM

I know this subject has been talked about many, many times before.

I have read on the board that is ok to wash a rag quilt in your own washing machine, I have read that you need to take it to a laundromat . . .

Is it just one of the things that some people do one way and others do another?

For those of you that washed it in your regular machine -- how did that turn out?

Thanks - I really appreciate all the help you all have given me!!!

Sadiemae 10-06-2010 09:31 AM

I washed mine in my washer and they turned out fine. However, because of the money that it cost me to work on my sewer line, I will be going to the laundromat from now on...

amma 10-06-2010 09:32 AM

All of those strings can plug up your machine... It can also wreak havoc with your dryer if you don't constantly empty the lint trap...
I think it is well worth the trip and few $$ to take it to the laundramat :wink:

vanessa 10-06-2010 09:42 AM

I would say that if the rag quilt is toddler size or larger, take it to a laundromat. If it is a baby quilt, you could wash it at home.

Vanessa

LovinMySoldier 10-06-2010 09:44 AM

I have a basket in my washer that catches the lint. I amazed how full it was. If you don't have something to catch the lint in the washer I would take it to a laundromat. I also emptied the lint trap every 5 minutes in the dryer. Seriously there is a ton of lint and strings from these things. Good luck

fabric_fancy 10-06-2010 09:45 AM

i've heard that some people use a weed whacker to fray the edges

Robinlee 10-06-2010 09:46 AM

I take to laundry mat - both rag quilts and Fauz chinelle scarfs. Want to keep my new washer & dryer alittle longer. They are 1 year old now.

chartwig 10-06-2010 09:47 AM

I washed mine at home and couldn't believe how much lint was left in the washing machine. I cleaned it out thoroughly and had no problem. It was an extra long twin for my son at college. As far as the dryer, I emptied the lint trap about 6 times!!! I was amazed at how much lint there was!!!!

LeslieSkelly 10-06-2010 09:58 AM

Definitely worth it to go to the laundry mat!!!

ckcowl 10-06-2010 10:39 AM

it really depends on the size of the quilt, if it is not really big (smaller than a queen) you can use your own machine...i take them outside and shake the heck out of them before i put them into the washer, then when you take it out of the wash take it outside and shake the heck out of it some more, then put into dryer...i check about every 15-20 minutes and empty the lint trap, it will be full! about 1/2 way through dryer time i take it outside and shake the heck out of it again...then finish the drying. you do need to clean out your washing machine after taking it out too. there will be lots of strings. i've not had any 'plumbing' problems but i am very vigilent about cleaning out as much as i can during and between cycles...such as when it spins out after washing, before the rinse water starts to run, i take it out...yup, outside for a shake, clean the washer tub and put it back in for the rinse cycle. so...laundrymats are easier...but sometimes the owners get real attitudes about raggy quilts especially when a person does not 'clean-up' after themselves and leaves strings all over the place. i only go to a laundramat if my quilt is too big for my machine. i have had some great items ruined in laundrymat machines, i hate taking chances.