Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing Moda Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-moda-fabric-t191425.html)

Blackberry 06-11-2012 05:20 AM

Washing Moda Fabric

I am getting ready to start a twin sized quilt using various patterns of the Northwoods Botanical Moda Fabric Line. Do I need to wash this fabric before starting. Some of the yardages are rather large and I am not sure how to wash a piece of fabric that is 8 yds long without it balling up in the washer and the dryer. I was thinking that since it is from the Moda fabric line perhaps there would be very little, if any, shrinkage and no bleeding. Am I correct on my thinking or should I just try to wash it anyway. As a general rule, I wash every piece of fabric that comes into my house before using.

Skittl1321 06-11-2012 05:24 AM

I never prewash anything, so I wouldn't prewash this either. However, I like the crinkly shrunken look in my quilts, and use color catchers when I wash (in cold) the final quilt.

Moda shrinks just like any other cotton- it is not preshrunk.

When I was yardage for garment sewing, I serge the edges to prevent fraying, and use dryer balls to help prevent it from balling up, but it usually will twist quite a bit and need a good pressing.

dunster 06-11-2012 05:31 AM

I wash everything, including large yardage. Moda is usually very good fabric, but I have also found some that was very disappointing. (It was provided to me for a charity quilt; if I had found it in a store I would have bypassed it because it felt so flimsy.) I haven't really had a problem with the fabric bunching up in the washer or dryer. I press most pieces, but if it's a huge piece that will be a quilt back I don't press it. I learned a trick of loading the piece on the longarm. misting slightly with a spray bottle, and any wrinkles just vanish. (Don't I wish that work on my body? I'd be draped over that longarm in a minute.)

Daylesewblessed 06-11-2012 05:40 AM

There is no guarantee that Moda or any other brand will not shrink or bleed. I would pre-wash, but you can always do a test on the fabric before starting the project, so that you know what will be to come.

Silver Needle 06-11-2012 05:42 AM

Put me down for prewashing. Too much work goes into a quilt to have bleeding or shrinking problems. I'm definitely dusting off the serger and doing the edges before washing next time. As for having to re-press the fabric...I put a sheet down on the carpet (to keep starch off); turn on the tv to something fun and press away; always keeping an eye out to be sure our Havanese dog is sleeping in the recliner not on the fabric I just pressed. They don't shed so I don't have to worry about dog hair, just don't want to press a second time. Oh yes, I usually put the square ends os 2 ironing boards together for pressing yard goods. DH is working on an idea for a rectangular fold down ironing surface high enough and large enough for this purpose.

auntpiggylpn 06-11-2012 05:46 AM

I am a devoted Moda user. I pre wash everything! I have had to wash several continous yards of fabric and I surge or zig zag the edges. I also wash the large yardage by itself so it doesn't get wrapped around other pieces of yardage in the washer. When I take it out of the washer, I untangle it and put it in the dryer. While it is in the dryer, I will stop the cycle a few times and make sure the fabric isn't twisted up. I will straighten it out if it is and continue to dry it. I remove it from the dryer before it is completely dry. It usually does require a good pressing but I kind of enjoy ironing yardage of fabric (strange, I know!) It seems like a lot of work but if you need to keep the fabric in the continous yardage, there isn't much choice unless you choose to not prewash.

Quiltngolfer 06-11-2012 05:51 AM

I like to just soak it then spin it out and dry. It doesn't get as tangled.

bearisgray 06-11-2012 05:59 AM

I had a piece of a red Moda purchased from a LQS about two years ago - it turned the water red and the formerly white selvages of the piece pink.

It was a nice weight. I don't remember about the shrinkage - it probably shrank some.

Lori S 06-11-2012 06:02 AM

I have had issues with Moda fabrics that have red or shades of red in it bleeding/running. So if it was me I would prewash, or at mimium test any suspect fabrics. I look at it as I invested a good amount of $$ for fabric ... why would I not take that final step to prevent a potential heartbreak?!

Buckeye Rose 06-11-2012 06:30 AM

There is no brand of cotton fabric that carries a guarantee of no shrinkage/no bleeding. I have learned my lesson the hard way and prewash everything going into a quilted item that will be washed. I also wash afterwards to get rid of any dust, dirt, oils from my hands that it might have accumulated during construction. Using a cotton batting will still get you the crinkled finish that some desire.