Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-quilts-t116861.html)

Sweeterthanwine 04-17-2011 12:50 PM

After the quilt is finished, and it ready to be washed, do you wash yours in the washing machine? Do you use any kind of special laundry soap, or just use water (warm or cold)? Do you put it in the dryer or lay out flat somewhere? Then after all this is done, do you iron or press it? All your ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

carolaug 04-17-2011 12:52 PM

I wash mine in cold water in the washing machine with regular laundry soap. Then I just throw it in the dryer, I do prewash all of my fabric. I take it out when its still warm...so its perfect..no ironing needed.

Tussymussy 04-17-2011 12:53 PM

I prewash all the fabrics before I make the quilt. Then when it is finished, it gets thrown in the washing machine and done on a regular wash, then it's dried on the line in fresh air and never sees an iron again.

S D G 04-17-2011 12:59 PM

I do not prewash my fabric. I wash my quilts in the washer in cold water with a color catcher and my regular laundry soap. I do not dry in the dryer, I feel that the heat is to hard on the fabric and thread. I then lay them out flat to dry, turning as needed. This is the way my Mother taught me to do this, and my grandmother also.

bearisgray 04-17-2011 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I wash mine in cold water in the washing machine with regular laundry soap. Then I just throw it in the dryer, I do prewash all of my fabric. I take it out when its still warm...so its perfect..no ironing needed.

Pretty much what I do - but I make "quilts to use" - and they are couch size - not art quilts or great big ones.

gale 04-17-2011 01:03 PM

I wash in warm water with color catchers. Even on a quilt I made with prewashed fabric, the color catcher picked up color from the red fabrics. I throw them in the dryer on the high setting.

NJ Quilter 04-17-2011 02:15 PM

I prewash all my fabric (unless they are small pieces). When complete, the quilt goes in the washer on a regular cycle, with normal laundry soap, usually Downey, and then in the dryer. I do not iron. I make bed sized quilts to be used so there's no way I'm ironing them. Plus I like the crinkled look so I don't prewash my batting. I would only use a color catcher if I had a questionable red. Although I had a green once that I prewashed and it ran forever. I gave the quilt to it's recipient along with a box of color catchers and told them never to wash the quilt without them.

Stitchnripper 04-17-2011 02:18 PM

I forgot to "quote reply" - no prewash, color catcher, no dryer, mostly.

I do it this way too - except- sometimes I might put one in the dryer for a little bit. I can't even say why I do this, but, so far no problems. And so far with no prewashing haven't had any running or shrinking. I am guessing maybe one day I will be surprised!! Hope not.

mimom 04-17-2011 02:22 PM

I was mine with regular detergent cold water and dry on our regular setting. I do not prewash my fabric because I like that crinkle effect from shrinking.

deema 04-17-2011 02:31 PM

I wash in cold with hypoallergenic detergent, tumble dry on low without a dryer sheet. I do not iron it when it's done. I do not pre-wash my fabric usually.