Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing rag quilt for the first time (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-rag-quilt-first-time-t103964.html)

Yaharalady 02-28-2011 07:26 PM

This is quilting and WASHING MACHINE related. I just got a new front load washing machine (Maytag) and as I loaded it the other day I realized there isn't a lint filter to empty. What am I to do when I wash a rag quilt or a chenille project for the first time. With all the thread that comes off I'm afraid it will clog my drain. The drainage hose is in a stand pipe so I don't really have access to put one of those little lint bags on it.

Any suggestions? Or perhaps there is someone out there who has a front load washer without a lint trap and who also makes rag quilts.

Prism99 02-28-2011 07:27 PM

Take it to a laundromat! I wouldn't wash a rag quilt for the first time in my home washing machine because of all the lint and the damage it can do.

Sadiemae 02-28-2011 07:28 PM

I have problems with the sewer pipes when I was rag quilts, so I go to the laundromat and wash it a couple of times. Then I can wash it at home with no problems.

CloverPatch 02-28-2011 07:30 PM

My front load has a filter on it. You have to remove the front fender thing to get to it, but it has one. Cost me $94 to find out it did and how to clean it!
It got to where it would not drain, manual didn't say a thing about it. When I called they ofcourse suggested their repair man... Like I said $94 for him to take of that fender guard, front, whatever you want to call it, and clean it out.
It has one trust me.

Lv2sew2011 02-28-2011 07:33 PM

Hmm, I only have 2 more payments on my front loaders, I guess I should call and ask question before the warrenty runs out and find out where the filter is...my front end had drawers below it...so I dont know where the fender is.

CloverPatch 02-28-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
Hmm, I only have 2 more payments on my front loaders, I guess I should call and ask question before the warrenty runs out and find out where the filter is...my front end had drawers below it...so I dont know where the fender is.

LOL, I don't know what you call it! That piece of metal right in front, directly below the door. That section right there, it is in there up towards the front.
After i paid for the "repair" my handyman magazine came (The next month) and it showed step by step how to clean it out.
It is real simple. You take off that panel (Panel! duh, panel sounds better than fender). Um, you take off that panel, and there is a cone/cylender shaped thingy, it twists off. Inside is a screen to catch all the goodies.
Mine was nasty, but I had my machine for just over a year, before it became an issue.

sharon b 02-28-2011 07:38 PM

I agree take it to a laundromat not only for the washing , but the drying is even worse- if you don't stay on top of it the lint filter can clog FAST and possibly cause damage - truthfully I would be more concerned about the drying :wink:

jayelee 02-28-2011 07:40 PM

I wouldnt wash my first time rag quilt in my own washer take it to a laundry mat that has a very big machine

fatquarters 02-28-2011 07:42 PM

I plugged up my DDILs new front loader-be careful-- and we had a flood too!

Born2Sew 02-28-2011 07:59 PM

I don't have a front loader, but in the past did fine when washing rag quilts UNTIL I did one that was all flannel. That's all it took, and my washer was locked down tighter than a drum. Actually, that was the trouble, the drum. The lint and debris had stuck between the inner and outer drum and would not allow the washer to spin out. Best advise, take it to a laudrymat. Much cheaper than paying the repair bill.....