Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing a Rag Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-rag-quilt-t190148.html)

Sewhappytoquilt 05-27-2012 11:23 AM

Washing a Rag Quilt

Folks say "Do NOT wash your rag quilt in your own machine. Go to a laundromat". My question is, why? What will happen to my washing machine?

Scissor Queen 05-27-2012 11:31 AM

You're likely to clog it up with a whoooooooooooole lotta lint.

icon17 05-27-2012 11:34 AM

I've Just finished a Rag quilt!! and washed IT AT Home 6x's What a JOB!! Yes it has alot of FluFF!! But if you make sure to clean the filter EVERY time should be fine!!
PS: I have a New Front load ' SamSung' stack set.

Tartan 05-27-2012 11:35 AM

Both chenille and some rag quilts make a lot of lint. I washed my chenille baby quilt in my washing machine with a couple of towels. It was fine and I put it in the dryer too. I did stop and clean the lint trap a couple of times during drying. I have not done a flannel rag quilt to see how much it sheds so I can't give an opinion on that.

Sewhappytoquilt 05-27-2012 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5246874)
You're likely to clog it up with a whoooooooooooole lotta lint.

Oh, do you mean that the water hoses will get clogged up?

Sewhappytoquilt 05-27-2012 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by icon17 (Post 5246881)
I've Just finished a Rag quilt!! and washed IT AT Home 6x's What a JOB!! Yes it has alot of FluFF!! But if you make sure to clean the filter EVERY time should be fine!!
PS: I have a New Front load ' SamSung' stack set.

Whoa - I didn't realize I would have to wash it more than once! What is the purpose of that? (Can you tell this is my first one)?

bakermom 05-27-2012 12:18 PM

It will shed for a several washings. I have done up to a twin quilt in my home washer without any problem. I check the lint trap each time i wash. when it is ready to go in the dryer I stop the dryer every little bit and clean the filter.

Pam B 05-27-2012 12:22 PM

I always go to the laundramat for the very first washing since it tends to be the lintiest. We live in the country with everything draining into our septic system and I hate to have it pumped any more often than needed. Every time I wash my rag blankets during their lifetime, I do it here at home but I still stop a couple times mid-cycle and clean out the lint traps. I do alot of rag blankets...they are my favorites!

merry 05-27-2012 12:49 PM

I washed my daughter's rag quilt the first couple of times in a fine mesh laundry bag. Very little lint in washer. Lots of lint on quilt which we shook out (outside). After drying it (out of bag) I used lint-lizard to clean dryer & found small amount of lint.

lfletcher 05-27-2012 12:51 PM

I think if you have a septic system, people are concerned that might be a problem, but I always wash my rag quilts in my machine. I would feel really bad if I messed up a machine at the laundromat. I have never had a problem. My machine drains out into our back yard. This method is called gray water because I believe laundry detergent is not harmful to the environment. I checked the pipe after my first rag quilt and there were a lot of threads, but it didn't clog the pipe. It is certainly more convenient to wash them at home.