Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Watch your fingers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/watch-your-fingers-t106301.html)

lllog 03-09-2011 10:01 AM

I learned a good lesson today. I've been cutting fabric for several years and today I got my finger a little to far over and sliced it with the rotary cutter. I'm sittuing here dripping blood as we speak. Ugh!!

Lanny

babyfireo4 03-09-2011 10:01 AM

Ow!!! Thanks for the reminder :) hope your finger heals quickly and without infection.

Quilter7x 03-09-2011 10:02 AM

Stop dripping and go get a band-aid! :shock: Yikes, that doesn't sound good. Thankfully it will heal, but what an inconvenience that's going to be until it is healed.

Diana Lynne 03-09-2011 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by lllog
I learned a good lesson today. I've been cutting fabric for several years and today I got my finger a little to far over and sliced it with the rotary cutter. I'm sittuing here dripping blood as we speak. Ugh!!

Lanny

I have done that twice now..Those things are sharper than any razor I know :-D

bjeriann 03-09-2011 10:16 AM

Been there - done that. At least it's a clean cut and heals fast. But still hurts like heck.

thequiltmama 03-09-2011 10:22 AM

Ditto, done that many times and hope I don't bleed on my fabric at the same time... :)

Originally Posted by bjeriann
Been there - done that. At least it's a clean cut and heals fast. But still hurts like heck.

vintagemotif 03-09-2011 10:28 AM

I purchased the Fons and Porter Klutz glove after I did something like that.

milp04 03-09-2011 10:29 AM

Hi Lanny,

I'm so sorry your finger got in the way! I hope that it heals quickly. Use bandaids or gauze depending on the slice. Soak daily and add lots of triple antibiotic ointment to the cut. The ointment will allow the cut to heal from the inside out and prevents scarring.

May I suggest getting some small suction clamps to attach to your rulers. You can get the small size clamp at Harbor Freight. It isn't the fancy purple color but works just the same at a cheaper cost.

It's a good idea to take short breaks when cutting fabric and never continue cutting when you're tired. Ask me how I know.

Pam M

jrhboxers 03-09-2011 10:47 AM

Been there, done that twice. Bad for me as I am on blood-thinners. First time not so bad, but second time took off the entire tip off - including about 1/8" of the nail bed. Had to go to the ER but there was nothing to stitch back - it was gone (I think the cat eat it). So they ended up having to cauterize it instead.

Take really good care of it. And make sure that the bandage is fairly tight at the beginning - it will help stop the bleeding. {Sorry that is the EMT in me.}

emerald46 03-09-2011 11:09 AM

Yuk...goosebumps here. Hope you soaked it in ice water. It does give you new respect for that tool. I tell mine "I love you" everytime I pick it up. Threw away the one I cut myself on...lol