Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Water resistant "batting" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/water-resistant-batting-t225152.html)

Jo C 07-04-2013 07:24 PM

Water resistant "batting"

I hope i can explain this. I want yo make coasters. Fabric on both sides. But i'd like to sandwich them with something that won't soak up condensation and get the bottom of the coasters wet. Wet would sort of defeat the purpose of a coaster. Anyone know of any product that would work? I guess i could use vinyl but is there something better? Thanks!

Cybrarian 07-04-2013 07:34 PM

Do you have an unused flannel backed tablecloth you could cut for batting? You could cut 2 pieces with the plastic sides together flannel sides out so you wouldn't have to worry about the tablecloth color or print showing through your coaster fabric. Hey I think I have one, hhmmm I may try this... :rolleyes:

Tartan 07-04-2013 07:40 PM

Do they have to have batt? How about up-cycling some margarine lids. Cut the shapes from the lids to fit between the fabric pieces. Curl the shapes to fit through a small hole and hand stitch the opening shut.

Jo C 07-04-2013 08:08 PM

Wow, both good ideas! I knew you ladies would come up with something!

ghostrider 07-04-2013 08:21 PM

The water blocking component doesn't have to be visible on the outside, it just has to be there quietly doing it's job. Use plastic from a freezer bag, or cut up a plastic dropcloth if you're making a lot of them, and put the layer between the backing and the inner padding of each coaster. It can be machine sewn, saving time, but remember that each stitch puts a hole in the barrier so edges only is best. I think batting is wimpy for coasters, so I use stiff interfacing, Fast2Fuse or Decor Bond, instead.

SemiSweet 07-04-2013 08:44 PM

Do you have an unused flannel backed tablecloth you could cut for batting? You could cut 2 pieces with the plastic sides together flannel sides out so you wouldn't have to worry about the tablecloth color or print showing through your coaster fabric.
I agree. I would use one of those higher end plastic table cloths (plastic on one side, white soft stuff on the other) and cut pieces from that.

Another fabric you might want to look into is duck cloth. It's supposed to block water from seeping through and it can come in different colors.

DOTTYMO 07-04-2013 09:34 PM

Plastic table cloth or fabric can be sewn so can make them in usual way.
Amy Butler has designed raincoats with fabric to go with it, not sure what the fabric is called but must sew well and be waterproof it also comes in very bold colours and patterns.

yel 07-05-2013 05:52 PM

heat and bond makes iron on plastic .....what about the stuff mom used to put on the couch ...clear plastic

sandy l 07-06-2013 02:53 AM

Or use a piece of insulbright? The stuff you use when making pot holders.

mike'sgirl 07-06-2013 06:02 AM

What about those cork sheets? You could fit it on the bottom and then no rings and it will air out.