Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A Water Soluble Marker That Lasts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/water-soluble-marker-lasts-t224683.html)

pumpkinpatchquilter 06-28-2013 01:07 AM

A Water Soluble Marker That Lasts?

Any recommendations? I've been all about whole cloth quilting lately and I can't seem to make a water soluble pen last through an entire quilt to save my life. I've only used Dritz and Clover - is there a good one out there I can order that would actually make it through marking an entire whole cloth quilt?

Lee in Richmond 06-28-2013 03:09 AM

Afraid I am hooked on the Frixion pens, after trying everything else on the market.

KR 06-28-2013 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond (Post 6147881)
Afraid I am hooked on the Frixion pens, after trying everything else on the market.

Me, too! Frixion marks will iron off. Some worry about remaining residue but I always wash quilts after they're finished and have had great success.

hockeymom14 06-28-2013 04:04 AM

I use Crayola Washable markers and haven't had a problem yet. I haven't done a whole cloth quilt with it yet though. If you use them make sure you soak the quilt in cold water for at least an hour without soap before washing it. Then wash it as normal.

Kitsie 06-28-2013 06:52 AM

I, too am thrilled with them. Thanks for the tip about soaking!!

Originally Posted by hockeymom14 (Post 6148001)
I use Crayola Washable markers and haven't had a problem yet. I haven't done a whole cloth quilt with it yet though. If you use them make sure you soak the quilt in cold water for at least an hour without soap before washing it. Then wash it as normal.

DJ 06-28-2013 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by hockeymom14 (Post 6148001)

I appreciate this tip. I used them once and had a hard time getting the marks out. I was sick. But then I was trying to wash a king-size quilt in a rather small washing machine, so I don't think it was agitating well enough. They finally came out when I washed it in a front-loading machine.

ghostrider 06-28-2013 07:01 AM

Sewline ceramic pencils wash off, but do not rub off while you're quilting. They've lasted for me with hand quilting, machine quilting, and longarm quilting, even when I've used a light hand to draw the lines.

They are sold as erasable, but I just use water instead since erasing can stretch the fabric if you're not careful.

117becca 06-28-2013 07:20 AM

I'm a frixion fan, too. I take the iron to it - and what doesn't get ironed off, will wash out when i wash it after i'm finished. I've been working on a king size quilt since Dec and my marks are still there.

feline fanatic 06-28-2013 08:28 AM

I am thinking you mean last to MARK the entire quilt. I still love those blue mark - b- gone but they lose their marking capability quickly without a bit of a cap on recharge. Expect to go through several in marking one quilt. Green Fairy has blogged about that and Diane Gaudynski mentions it in her books too. So I do what they did. I dedicate 3 to 5 pens. I mark with one until it quits making a bright blue mark then switch to the next, capping the first one and letting it "rest", etc. I keep rotating them and I can usually get a whole quilt marked with 3 but I have several new unused ones in reserve. On one quilt I had to switch out again but I didn't start with brand new pens.

QuiltE 06-28-2013 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 6148408)
Sewline ceramic pencils wash off, but do not rub off while you're quilting. They've lasted for me with hand quilting, machine quilting, and longarm quilting, even when I've used a light hand to draw the lines.

They are sold as erasable, but I just use water instead since erasing can stretch the fabric if you're not careful.

GhostRider ... I'm still looking for the ultimate marker. When you say the Sewline needs to be washed off ... washed as in the washing machine? Or does it disappear with a spritz of water? Please? and Thanks! :)