Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Waterproof lining for cosmetic bag (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/waterproof-lining-cosmetic-bag-t25366.html)

nursie76 09-11-2009 08:24 PM

Need some help. My daughter (the one in New Zealand for grad school) just informed me she could use a small cosmetic pouch to carry in her backpack to campus. She would like it lined or somehow made waterproof, which I understand. The simple pattern I have in mind calls for a lining, but I am unsure what I could use that would be waterproof or at least resistant but not grossly heavy. Any ideas?

3incollege 09-11-2009 08:29 PM

they sell all kinds of stuff that she would want at REI.
My daught spent last summer in New Zealand for a program. Thats were we get all of her traveling items.

BlueChicken 09-11-2009 08:35 PM

:D

I saw a tutorial on here one day for a bag exactly like what you're after, and it had a ziplock back as the lining. From memory, all you do is sew it just like fabric, and voila, a waterproof lining! :-)

Whereabouts in New Zealand is she?

BellaBoo 09-11-2009 08:36 PM

I have seen thin clear vinyl at Joann's, and Hancock's Fabric. I'm pretty sure it has a sticky side. I would stick it on the fabric, leaving the seam allowance, and then sew the bag. I have stuck a freezer bag inside a cloth bag for leak proof lining.

nursie76 09-12-2009 06:11 AM

Thanks for all your answers. I will check them out.

BlueChicken, She is in Auckland and attending the Univ of Auckland. We are going to visit her in about 4 weeks.

Lacelady 09-12-2009 09:16 AM

I bought an inexpensive shower curtain once, when I wanted a waterproof lining for a tote. One of the nylon fabric types, not a plastic looking one. Hope that helps

AtHomeSewing 09-12-2009 09:33 AM

There is this really cool stuff, fusible vinyl for just such projects. It doesn't make it waterproof exactly, more like wipeable. I actually have some. When I first bought it I wondered how heavy it would make my project feel, well, it didn't. The fabric remains flexible and not overly heavy.

Also, there are many weights of clear vinyl at Joann. Could the bag simply have a loose vinyl liner? You can use tissue paper over the top of it to sew, if it's a problem moving over the pressure feet.

Skeat 09-12-2009 10:04 AM

There are many ways of doing this...could use a shower curtain, buy the off the roll for table covers, etc....but, honestly, unless you want something in particular for the outside that you have or she wanted...the wally world sells those for under $5...and, actually I think they are around 3. Just fyi...:)Skeat

butterflywing 09-12-2009 12:40 PM

flannel-lined tablecloths from $$ stores work really well and are very flexible. i would cut it and sew it as one with the fabric.

BlueChicken 09-12-2009 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Thanks for all your answers. I will check them out.

BlueChicken, She is in Auckland and attending the Univ of Auckland. We are going to visit her in about 4 weeks.

How exciting!! :D
We're at the other end of the island, unfortunately, or you could have stopped in for a coffee.

I'm loving the shower curtain idea... I saw a pattern recently for a Cutting Mat Carry Bag, and it used strong clear plastic on the inside. I can imagine the same bag made in blues with the plastic having little dolphins or fish on it, very groovy! ;-)