Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   which way do you cut your fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/way-do-you-cut-your-fabric-t3775.html)

Kyiav10 12-28-2007 08:27 PM

OOOPS!! I just put my borders on the wrong way. I cut selvage to selvage for my borders...Is this a problem??? Kyia

2 Doods 12-28-2007 09:29 PM

Well-see how much you teach me! I have been doing it all wrong :!: All of my borders and everything are cut cross wise. Dang-and I just put some borders on tonight. I'll wait until next one to try the lengthwise cut. I am not taking these off!

barnbum 12-29-2007 04:43 AM

2 Doods and Kyia--I've been sewing for well over 10 years and I never even knew to cut the borders lengthwise! :shock: I have to admit I always struggled a bit with borders--they always felt floppy and when I wanted to add 3 I'd cringe because I knew there was great potential for things to not look so good.

So--don't take yours off :!: :!: :!: If my quilts survived all this time yours will too. :wink:

patricej 12-29-2007 05:04 AM

let's face it. to cut your border strips along the selvage means you'll have to buy a lot more of that fabric. IF you can afford it AND IF you know you'll put the leftovers to good use, then ... sure ... cut lengthwise.

but, if none of those apply, then cut across the width and piece your border. pin every half inch. sew slowly and carefully. resist the natural urge to pull on the fabrics as they feed into or out from under the foot. just use your hands to guide the fabric - not to push or pull.

if it starts to look like it isn't feeding straight and even, stop with the needle down, lift the foot, straighten it out, then start again.

i have just this minute remembered something our home-ec teacher used to make us do. it's called "staystitching" and is often used to stabilize curved pieces in dressmaking. before you sew the border strips to the top, run them through the machine first by themselves. again - remember to simply guide. don't push or pull. sew a leeeeetle bit less than 1/4" from the edge. i'll bet that would reduce or eliminate the ruffles we sometimes get when the WOF strips stretch during assembly.

barnbum 12-29-2007 05:17 AM

Thanks PatriceJ!! Great advice. I think cutting a yard or more along the selvage (JM books spell it selvedge?) is too tricky and I have more trouble with folds than I do borders!! :wink:

Diamonds 12-29-2007 11:01 AM

Very seldom do I ever cut material for binding.. My backing is always bigger than my quilts... I trim the backing so that it is 1 1/2 inch larger than the quilt on my kings and queens.. I fold it once and then over again.. I then whip stitch it to the front to secure it... Sometimes I do machine stitch it... On smaller projects I adjust how much material to leave..

I like this method because it makes for a beautiful finished binding look on the top of the quilt.. Also saves money and time...

imaquilter 12-29-2007 05:19 PM

Here's a thought I just had.......am I right about this?

Whether you cut on the lengthwise or crosswise grain, if you are cutting squares......you could wind up sewing it on the stretchy side anyway unless you check each one before you sew it or label it. Too much work for me. But, even still both sides will get sewn to. ??????

I think I'll stick with cutting WOF, I have over 175 projects to get done before I die! LOL