Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wedding gift...his and hers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wedding-gift-his-hers-t90349.html)

Julie in NM 01-14-2011 05:21 AM

Friend at work was talking about her son getting married and wondered about a queen size quilt as a gift. I mentioned I have never given a full/queen size quilt as a gift. She said why? Said when someone decoarates their bedroom they have either a theme in mind or colors.

I give over size lap quilts. Feel I have a better chance of them being used...even if stored in a closet till someone gets sick and needs to sleep on the couch.

We chatted more and we came up with a great idea. HIS AND HERS QUILTS...same pattern but different color scheme in lap size.

So what do you think of our idea.

dkabasketlady 01-14-2011 05:40 AM

It's different, but I like it! My DH & I have a lap quilt on our feet every evening while we're watching tv. I'm sure these will get a lot of use.

raptureready 01-14-2011 05:41 AM

Love it! Couch throws are wonderful as gifts I think. I gave away some for Christmas. Each year I make a large couch throw for DD's teacher designed to fit them. One year she had an extremely tall teacher so I made one extremely long. The teacher told me that it was the first time in her life that she was able to have a pretty couch throw that she could actually cover up with. This year her teacher said that his wife had remarked about what in expensive gift that was for a teacher gift. I told him that for 9 month out of the year, 35 yrs a week he was responsible for my daughters education, safety and well being. I feel that's worth more than the token "apple". His and Her couch throws is a marvelous idea.

ConnieF 01-14-2011 05:42 AM

Good thinking.

My Son and DIL lover the lap quilts too...

ConnieF

sueisallaboutquilts 01-14-2011 05:55 AM

I think it's a great idea!!! And yes, I believe they will be used and enjoyed :D:D

erstan947 01-14-2011 06:07 AM

The first quilts I made were for my husband and I. They are closer to twin size. They are for the TV area. I'm short but tall around. When I move I want to not have a gap. Regular throws are just not wide enough. We love them:)

hobo2000 01-14-2011 06:27 AM

I have never nade a quilt for myself. I made my DH a lap quilt out of Jaoanese Taupes as he was raised in Jaoan and loves those colors. However, my 4 sons and DH went together and gave me a Ipad for Christmas. Love, love love it. So last night I was lying on the bed playing with my new toy and got cold. No quilt for my legs. DH said "get your own". Guess what I am doing today? Yup, getting fabric for my IPAD lap quilt. I can't wait to have my own. Mind you I have made as of 12/31/2010 127 quilts, but no lap quilt for me.

PWinston 01-14-2011 06:36 AM

I made two oversized throws for my daughter. However, rather than making same pattern, different fabrics, I made same fabrics, different patterns so that they coordinate well with each other.

QuiltedAngel 01-14-2011 06:40 AM

Honestly, it is a perfect idea because, there is always a cover hogger and if they both have thier own...
One for each saves the tug of war that can happen :).

amma 01-14-2011 10:00 AM

I love this idea :D:D:D