Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   wedding present (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wedding-present-t137029.html)

fishhavengirl 07-12-2011 06:51 AM

Good morning everyone.......my neighbors son is getting married in August. He is very dear to me and I wanted to make a medium sized wall hanging for the young couples new home. Looking for suggestions and I know all of you can help me come up with a fabulous idea!

Kehoeta 07-12-2011 06:52 AM

I did something similar last year... I waited until they had registered so I could see some of the things that could clue me in on their taste.

Cherylsea 07-12-2011 07:00 AM

Ask the bride to be! Maybe even have her help with choosing pattern and fabric (reality check for her on cost). It is so much better to be sure.

Julie in NM 07-12-2011 07:04 AM

IMHO...I always make a lap quilt. Can't go wrong. It Will always be used. They won't feel obligated to hang it on the wall. Remember tastes do change. If you use scraps, won't be a strain on your budget and you'll make room for new fab to come into you home. Or if you have time..make two..his and hers. Thats fun too!

QuiltnNan 07-12-2011 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
IMHO...I always make a lap quilt. Can't go wrong. It Will always be used. They won't feel obligated to hang it on the wall. Remember tastes do change. If you use scraps, won't be a strain on your budget and you'll make room for new fab to come into you home. Or if you have time..make two..his and hers. Thats fun too!

good thinking

SparkMonkey 07-12-2011 07:31 AM

I agree with the suggestion of a lap quilt. As much as I would appreciate and respect the love that went into a wall hanging, it wouldn't go on the wall in my house--it would just look out of place. Lap quilts, however, will go with pretty much anything, especially if you choose a simple, classic pattern like log cabin or Irish chain. Make it a generous size and they can snuggle under it together. :)

I also agree about maybe waiting until they have a registry somewhere--that will give you a clue as to their color taste and style.

PaperPrincess 07-12-2011 07:45 AM

I agree with the above, make a smallish lap quilt, but put a hanging sleeve on it to give them the option. Looking at her registry is also a good idea.

rivka 07-12-2011 07:49 AM

I think lap quilts are the way to go -- it's functional, and therefore more likely to be appreciated. Wall hangings are basically art -- and art is so subjective when it comes to what people like. I'd be too afraid of giving someone something that they would hate, that they would feel they had to hang up!

BrendaY 07-12-2011 08:09 AM

Lap quilt sounds better choice... and non-quilters really are not that good at choosing fabrics for a quilt. You know best about color impact combinations....

CloverPatch 07-12-2011 08:14 AM

One thing that is popular and would be much appreciated as a wall hanging, is something with their new last name on it.

don't know if you have an embroidery machine or want to do applique, but a wall hanging that says somthing like "Welcome to the Andersons"
or "The Smiths Est. 2011"