Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   were do you send your charity articles? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/were-do-you-send-your-charity-articles-t181912.html)

sewNso 03-07-2012 03:56 AM

were do you send your charity articles?

what organization do you/ have you sent your articles to? and maybe a short why? please, for ideas.
I have made 6 or so downy child quilts, and sent 25 or so pillowcases to the dept. of soc serv's for foster kids. I hear they gather their stiff together for a move in plastic bags. i figured a pillow case would work also.

#1piecemaker 03-07-2012 04:14 AM

St. Judes would be a good place to send things. Or, the closest hospital and nursing home. Those folks are some of the most appreciative ones you will ever find. Anywhere you take them, I'm sure you will not go wrong. Good luck.

JabezRose 03-07-2012 04:15 AM

The quilt tops I do, usually a couple a week if possible, go to a organization "Together We Can Make Difference House" and into a box with a lot of other quilt tops from other ladies. When they over flow, we have a "Quilt a Robics'' at one of the local care facilities and tie them all together and they are given to VETERANs to let them know they are appreciated. A lable is sewn on them, thanking them for their service. Well, we don't tie them all together, haha, we put the tops together with batting and backing and then tie them off. Ladies and men at care facilities love to do it, Veterans enjoy their quilts, we get rid of stress through sewing. Win, Win, situation. We also do up a few baby quilts too for new mothers. I love doing this. Material is donated by people that helps out in the cost.

Freckles48 03-07-2012 04:22 AM

I belong to a group that makes quilts for the local police cars (they wrap kiddies they must remove from homes in them and give them a teddy bear[also provided by another charity]), the local women's shelter, a YMCA program called "Reconnect" for homeless folk and Habitat for Humanity as well as specific charities who need quilts for fundraisers.

QuiltnNan 03-07-2012 04:40 AM

i'm making a quilt now for our local faith based thrift store. i've also made quilts at the local senior center and these quilts are donated to the local police department for at risk kids.

Daylesewblessed 03-07-2012 04:46 AM

Most of my quilts go to Project Linus or to our local guild's "Kids Quilts" project, so that children who are sick or have experienced problems are comforted.

I also make tops for Lutheran World Relief (finished by my mom's church group) for distribution to disaster victims overseas.

My most time intensive quilts are given to my hometown Bible camp for their annual quilt auction fundraiser.

I contribute fabric to many other sewing/quilting charities including those serving soldiers, veterans, and shelters.

All are worthy causes, and I feel privileged to be able to help.

QuiltingGrannie 03-07-2012 05:01 AM

Our guild makes them for the VA nursing home residents, also the children's hospital. We also make cancer pillows for cancer patients, and are making pillow cases.

Phyllis

brookemarie19 03-07-2012 05:04 AM

If you look in the offer section on the board, someone is taking donations for a silent auction for children with diabetes. I believe its redgarnet, but my mind is completely blah this morning so can't be positive.

Shelbie 03-07-2012 05:08 AM

I donate my quilts to local charities through my quilt guild. We supply quilts to Victim Services (fires, accidents etc), Children and Youth Services, Teen mothers (through local high school), the local woman's shelter and the youth shelter. We also take lap and wheel chair quilts to our local nursing and seniors homes. Our quilts seldom leave our county and there always seems to be a need. We do send a few overseas each year through the Lions service club.

sewNso 03-07-2012 05:57 AM

thx, for the ideas. keep them coming. maybe we will all will get a few ideas. you got me thinking. about a homeless shelter for women and children that i know of in lansing. does anyone know how most work? do the 'clients' get to keep the blankets, or are they washed 4 reuse and kept in the facility? which way do you prefer?