Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Whaddya MEAN you don't cut with the lines on the mat?! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whaddya-mean-you-dont-cut-lines-mat-t217237.html)

judykay 03-25-2013 05:55 AM

Can someone PLEASE re-post the link...

jcrow 03-25-2013 05:59 AM

I use the rulers except when I'm straightening the edge of a long piece of fabric. I never learned to use my mat lines for cutting. I never thought about turning it over! Now I know I can have a whole new mat when this side wears out. Thanks for the idea!!!

nygal 03-25-2013 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats (Post 5951347)
Great link! I have seen one of my quilting friends cutting her fabric not using the lines on the mat and I always thought what is she doing? Now I know! Huh! The things you learn just from reading!

What link? I'd love to see how this is done. I always use the lines on my mat and they are worn out again!!

Holice 03-25-2013 06:12 AM

what link. would be interested to see the turorial.

Wanabee Quiltin 03-25-2013 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Teeler (Post 5951324)
After reading several posts from various members talking about using their rulers, I still wasn't really understanding how you could cut without using the markings on the mat, and only rely on the ruler for measurements. It took a wonderful member here to actually spell it all out (with idiot-proof pictures- THANK YOU!) and get me to understand the how-to of using my rulers.

Maybe you could share these pictures with all of us. I can do it both ways, but would love to see the pics. Thanks.

Cagey 03-25-2013 06:39 AM

I use the lines on my mat for cutting the fabric straight on the ends or for measuring larger pieces of fabrics that are too large for a ruler. The larger white mats come in handy for that. Mostly I rely on my ruler. Like the idea of turning the mat over when you don't need the lines.

quiltmau 03-25-2013 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Teeler (Post 5951324)
After reading several posts from various members talking about using their rulers, I still wasn't really understanding how you could cut without using the markings on the mat, and only rely on the ruler for measurements. It took a wonderful member here to actually spell it all out (with idiot-proof pictures- THANK YOU!) and get me to understand the how-to of using my rulers.

When I started quilting again with all the new equipment I was using the mat lines as guide. I took a class and the instructor/quilt teacher blew up and told me I was WRONG-WRONG-WRONG!! Never use the line on the mat. She also told me to NEVER iron to the light and the ALWAYS iron seams closed!! Along with a bunch of other stuff that I have ignored.

Can we say quilt police???

I use the mat lines as a guide-measure and cut with a ruler-iron seams both open and closed depending on the pattern-and do not go to quilt classes!! I am much happier for it.

margie77072 03-25-2013 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats (Post 5951347)
Great link!

I don't see a link

Teeler 03-25-2013 07:39 AM

I can't post the link. I don't know why it was edited. See post # 20.

Google this: Cutting Fabric from the First Cut

AZ Jane 03-25-2013 07:46 AM

That is exactly how I was taught to cut the first cut. I love Google!