Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is "washable" glue? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-%22washable%22-glue-t152391.html)

Carol's Quilts 09-12-2011 10:05 AM

I'm confused as to the meaning of "washable" glue.

In one sense, it means the glued item can be washed without any harm coming to it and it will stay glued.

In another sense, it means that laundering the glued item will wash out the glue.

Will someone please set me straight? Thanks.

Sadiemae 09-12-2011 10:10 AM

Elmer's Washable School Glue means the glue will wash out. It is a starch product.

BellaBoo 09-12-2011 10:11 AM

If it is labeled permanent glue then it will not wash out.

quiltmouse 09-12-2011 10:11 AM

I totally get you, I frequently see things in reverse like that. Often drives people around me nuts. (whereupon, they "join" me) :mrgreen:

I would think here on QB, it means glue that washes out.

Like, quilters who glue bindings, then sew them, then wash them. (which I intend to try) They want the glue to wash out.

You give washable markers to kids, which means non-permanant, and oopsies will wash out of the carpet, clothing, etc.

hobbykat1955 09-12-2011 10:18 AM

Used allot in applique to hold in place while you do your stitching around each piece .

leatheflea 09-12-2011 10:51 AM

It washes out, I use when appliqueing or doing machine binding.

kwilter 09-12-2011 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts

In one sense, it means the glued item can be washed without any harm coming to it and it will stay glued.

In another sense, it means that laundering the glued item will wash out the glue.

There are a number of terms that are ambiguous: "pitted," "seeded," "tangy," "spicy," etc. which need desperately to be codified so that they all refer to the same thing. (Please note all my references refer to food.)!
I buy pitted olives which have no pits but my daughter bought pitted cherries that had the pits in them! I have used tangy which burned my mouth...and I wouldn't even consider "spicy" unless it has no cayenne or other HOT stuff in it. My stomach just can't handle it!

ckcowl 09-12-2011 02:41 PM

washable glue is glue that comes out when the item is washed= so you can use it to hold pieces/appliques/ paper piecing= then wet the item and get rid of the glue....it is not a permenent glue

Carol's Quilts 09-13-2011 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by kwilter

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts

There are a number of terms that are ambiguous: "pitted," "seeded," "tangy," "spicy," etc. which need desperately to be codified so that they all refer to the same thing. (Please note all my references refer to food.)!
I buy pitted olives which have no pits but my daughter bought pitted cherries that had the pits in them! I have used tangy which burned my mouth...and I wouldn't even consider "spicy" unless it has no cayenne or other HOT stuff in it. My stomach just can't handle it!

I agree 100%! It can be so confusing. No wonder they say English is one of the hardest languages to learn.

Also, I'm with you on the hot, spicy, tangy stuff. I don't like any of it. It burns my mouth, tongue, lips, makes me sweat and takes away my breath. Then I get heartburn. What's the fun in that? I don't think my food should hurt me!

Once I asked a waitress if their "mild" salsa was hot and spicy and she said, "Oh, no, no". So I tried it and it about blew my head off! But my 8-yr. old granddaughter loved it and the waitress had to bring another bowl of it to our table!

I guess we are in the minority as so many people seem to love it so much. Chefs say to cut out the veins and seeds of the chile pepper and you won't get the heat, just the flavor of the pepper. Wrong! (They have flavor?)

Carol's Quilts 09-13-2011 08:30 AM

Thank you everyone so much for explaining washable glue. I'm 71 and have been sewing and quilting most of my life (without glue!) and thought I knew a lot about it, but every day I learn something new on this board or I come up with another question about something I never heard of. Everyone is always so helpful and someone always has an answer. QB is like a human encyclopedia - I love it! Thanks again.