Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What about using wool shirts for a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-about-using-wool-shirts-quilt-t104818.html)

2 Doods 03-03-2011 10:05 PM

I have access to some Pendleton wool shirts. The labels say Dry Clean Only. What if I cut them up to use in quilts? Think it will work? What about washing Pendleton shirts? Have you ever washed a wool shirt?

squilter 03-03-2011 10:09 PM

I may be wrong, but I think you would need to wash them first so if they are gonna draw up, it will be before you put the quilt together. Now someone that knows more than me can probably tell you the correct way...lol

montanajan 03-03-2011 10:12 PM

Yes, you can use them - just wash first, don't bother with dry cleaning. I wash my hubby's pendletons all the time. I do line dry them. Quality wool shirts can make nice quilts.

BETTY62 03-03-2011 10:19 PM

I washed a wool skirt by mistake and it really shrunk a lot. I would wash a shirt before I spent any time cutting a pattern out just to see what happened.

Ramona Byrd 03-04-2011 12:30 AM

My late DH loved his Pendleton wool shirts, and I washed them often. Washed them in cold water, but dried them on low and hung to finish drying. By the time I got around to cutting them they had shrunk as much as they ever would. They are pretty colors, soft and smooth to the hand.

cheryl rearick 03-04-2011 12:58 AM

Hello re: wool shirts. another board member "jaciqltznok" spoke on wool the other day. talked about felting it. wahinging in HOT HoT water I think twice and actually drying in dryer... It is then workable for quilting (what? ) not sure lol. Make contact with her, if you can wns in hot water and dry in dryer so it will not shrink any longer then it would become a washable quilt and dryable... you think???? just do not take my word for it.... :) I loved the pentleton shirts of years ago...

earthwalker 03-04-2011 01:45 AM

I have no idea what a Pendleton wool shirt is. I have however, made quilts out of clothing, wool, velvet, you name it. Before I even cut them up everything goes in the wash, dry as you would normally (we tend to line dry here). You will then see how they survive and if they have any instability with colour etc. Woolen fabric makes beautiful quilts...good luck with yours (and don't forget we looooove pics.).

ckcowl 03-04-2011 02:04 AM

ALWAYS WASH YOUR WOOL BEFORE CUTTING IT UP!
the first thing to do to prepare your wool shirts for a quilt is wash them in a hot wash, with a little detergent...rinse in cold then place into a hot dryer, when they come out of the dryer you will have wool ready for quilting. i usually de=contruct my garments before i wash the wool. i cut off all seams, buttons, cuffs, collars, then wash each piece but it's just as easy to take them apart after laundering. after your wool has been washed (in hot water) the edges will not fray, you do not have to turn under edges for applique. wool is wonderful to work with!
visit the web sites of Primative Gatherings and Sue Spargo (2 different sites) for inspiration, and some helpful free tips/tutes for working with wools and other primativies :thumbup:

redmadder 03-04-2011 03:48 AM

It is the sudden changes of temperature that makes wool draw up, which is fine if you are felting wool. However:

To wash wool, use lukewarm water to wash and rinse, it shouldn't even feel warm to your hand, just nuetral. It wont shrink this way. And air dry. Then your quilt gets the same treatment if you need to wash it.

clem55 03-04-2011 05:35 AM

Lucky you! Pendleton will make a great quilt. Pre-wash and dry just as you would do a finished quilt.