Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What attracted you to quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-attracted-you-quilting-t11992.html)

spatulagirl 10-07-2008 11:25 AM

Just curious :).

humbird 10-07-2008 11:28 AM

Well, for me it was just a natural thing to do. My grandmother and mother both quilted, and I guess I just thought everyone did!! I'm so glad they got me into it!

shellyp 10-07-2008 11:37 AM

My kids! :lol: They had a home-ec class in school and wanted to pratice on a sewing machine at home. I got the one from my mom and haven't looked back since.

mrs theo 10-07-2008 11:40 AM

I lost my grandmother when I was young and she excelled at everything domestic. Now that my kids are grown; I'd like to be more like her and quilting was one of her many talents!

sew_lulu 10-07-2008 11:43 AM

My nieces and nephew. I wanted to make a quilt for them and didn't know. Well, I went to Joann's and took a sewing class. I've been going full force ever since. Just don't ask me how much stuff I accommulate since.

racnquilter 10-07-2008 11:44 AM

Not so much what attracted me to quilting, but how I got started. Fall of 2005, Mom said the county extension office will be having a quilting class next year, want to do this with me? First response, no. Thought about it a day or so, and decided that Mom was really asking me so that she and I could do something together to get out of our houses at least once a month. Told her yes, that...as they say...was history.

LoriJ 10-07-2008 11:47 AM

A group of ladies at my church were doing lap quilts for foster kids and hosted a 'class' for all of us who had never done it before. I was hooked. I like the preciseness of piecing and really enjoy the history of it all.

Izy 10-07-2008 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by racnquilter
Not so much what attracted me to quilting, but how I got started. Fall of 2005, Mom said the county extension office will be having a quilting class next year, want to do this with me? First response, no. Thought about it a day or so, and decided that Mom was really asking me so that she and I could do something together to get out our houses at least once a month. Told her yes, that...as they say...was history.

I thought I was joining a cross stitch group in Autumn 2006, only to find it was a patchwork class. I didn't have a clue!! I came away with a handful of scraps and a dresden plate template....never touched cross stitch since lol!! :D :D

This is what I made

Dorothy of Kansas 10-07-2008 11:59 AM

I worked at a fabric store and one of the other associates quilted and asked me if I wanted to take a quilt class with her and I said Yes...I have never looked back!! That was in 1992! I love working with fabric...we won't even discuss my "stash" and no, I don't have any pictures of it. It's in long bins by color (3 bins of just blues!!)...comes from working in a fabric store.

spatulagirl 10-07-2008 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by LoriJ
A group of ladies at my church were doing lap quilts for foster kids and hosted a 'class' for all of us who had never done it before. I was hooked. I like the preciseness of piecing and really enjoy the history of it all.

I love the history, too. I'm a big history buff, so doing something that has so much historical meaning is rather a win-win :).

I decided to try it since a friend of mine was quilting. Went to the quilt shop, got my materials, and pieced my first top without knowing a darn thing about how to operate a sewing machine - it was so bad that I'm embarrassed to even find that top (it's in my parents' house somewhere). But then I took a class in hand-piecing and hand-quilting from my MIL as a birthday gift, and fell in love with it. Have pretty much taught myself via a friend since (4 years ago).