Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the best cotton batting to use for hand quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-best-cotton-batting-use-hand-quilting-t146708.html)

LeeAnn 08-21-2011 06:45 AM

I use warm and natural cotton batting and it seems difficult to get my stitches as small as I would like. I don't care for polyester batting. What is a good batting that will help with smaller stitches? Would an 80/20 work better than all cotton?

leatheflea 08-21-2011 06:51 AM

Most hand quilters use poly because its easier to stitch. I personally dont hand stitch.

feline fanatic 08-21-2011 06:51 AM

What polys have you tried? Have you tried quilters dream brand? I think you might change your mind with a higher end poly. Poly is easier to needle and get tiny stitches than cotton. Wool is also wonderful for this. I have used 80-20 and it is nice too but still a bit difficult to needle if you load multiple stitches on your needle. Not so bad if you only take 1 or 2 stitches at a time. There is also some of the more traditional cotton bats that require very close quilting (every 2" maximum) like mountain mist blue ribbon 100% cotton batting. It is a fragile bat though so you need to be careful when sandwiching. W&N was originally made for the crafting market and quilters caught on to it quick. But it is most suitable and really intended for machine quilting.

Scissor Queen 08-21-2011 06:53 AM

Quilter's Dream select weight cotton batting is super thin and very soft.

Prism99 08-21-2011 06:55 AM

Quilters Dream Request weight is a cotton batting that hand quilters really like. It gives a fairly flat look, though. If you want "puff", then Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 is a good choice.

LeeAnn 08-21-2011 06:59 AM

I don't care for the puff of polyester. I like the crinkle look I get with cotton. More of the yester year look.

Cyn 08-21-2011 07:33 AM

Thermore is what I learned on and love. It's thin and soooo nice to work with :)

Hinterland 08-21-2011 07:52 AM

I like Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon Cotton batting. It needs a quilting line every two inches. I've also used the lightest weight of Quilters Dream cotton, but I felt it didn't have enough loft to really show the quilting design. However, it was easy to quilt through.

My next quilt will use wool batting - I've heard good things about it.

Janet

Borntohandquilt 08-21-2011 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used Tuscany 100% cotton once (low loft) and it was easy to hand quilt. The look of the quilt was very traditional.

purrfectquilts 08-21-2011 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Quilters Dream Request weight is a cotton batting that hand quilters really like. It gives a fairly flat look, though. If you want "puff", then Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 is a good choice.

I agree with this, although wool needles very nicely. Have to think of allergies, moths, etc. but does work well.