Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what can cause thread to break? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-can-cause-thread-break-t164484.html)

Sadiemae 10-30-2011 02:45 PM

These two machines probably will use the same needle.

Rhaorth 10-30-2011 02:50 PM

well I found a package of kenmore needles that were with the machine... they are color coded, I checked the chart in that other thread, and no clue what the numbers mean and what would be good for cotton wovens.

Kenmore color codes
Kenmore colors its needles with a different system of color codes which indicate the needle's size:

Shank color Shaft size Shaft size (europe)
blue 11 75
orange 12 80
red 14 90
purple 16 100
green 18 110

I have one of each of these... which one should I use?

romanojg 10-30-2011 02:51 PM

new needle or possible a good cleaning under the bobbin area.

ckcowl 10-30-2011 02:53 PM

the recommendation for needles is to change your needle with every new project-or every 8 hours of sewing time-which ever comes first- and fabrics like flannel, denim, heavier fabrics or knits will dull your needle faster than sewing regular quilting cottons. any time your stitch quality is poor the first thing to check is ...when did you change that needle last???

Rhaorth 10-30-2011 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg
new needle or possible a good cleaning under the bobbin area.

I took the bobbin and assemble stuff in there, removed the foot plate thing, cleaned out all the lint, oiled it and reassembled, and it still makes the snick snick noise, and breaks the thread off and on

ckcowl 10-30-2011 02:55 PM

the needle size type needs to match the thread being used- not the fabric=
visit the superior threads web site- they have free charts that will tell you what each needle is for- what thread to use with it- the weights and sizes- you can download the chart= print it and always have it hanndy.

Rhaorth 10-30-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
the recommendation for needles is to change your needle with every new project-or every 8 hours of sewing time-which ever comes first- and fabrics like flannel, denim, heavier fabrics or knits will dull your needle faster than sewing regular quilting cottons. any time your stitch quality is poor the first thing to check is ...when did you change that needle last???

I have never changed the needle (had no clue they got dull, I know duh... new with machines though... I feel stupid... I should have known... but now I do)

Rhaorth 10-30-2011 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
the needle size type needs to match the thread being used- not the fabric=
visit the superior threads web site- they have free charts that will tell you what each needle is for- what thread to use with it- the weights and sizes- you can download the chart= print it and always have it hanndy.

wow lot more to this than I ever though. I am just using coats and clark regular thread.. (I know that is not much help) let me go look at the spool then check that site)

says coats and clark all purpose polyester covered polyester

not sure what the other numbers are.

Thank you all for the info, going to be in another window while I check that site about threads.

miriam 10-30-2011 03:01 PM

Is your needle in backwards?

Rhaorth 10-30-2011 03:04 PM

miriam, nope, it only will fit one way, flat on one side.

I think it is what people suggested, dull needle, being I have not changed it and have sewn denim.

I am just not sure what needle to replace it with.
(I checked the website mentioned above and do not see anything to help with coats and clark all purpose thread)