Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to charge for handquilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-charge-handquilting-t114424.html)

jtquilts 04-08-2011 02:13 AM

I have the opportunity to handquilt a queen sized Double Wedding Ring quilt pieced by hand in the 30's of authentic flour sack fabrics. Not sure yet of the quilting pattern. The owner was quoted $400 previously and I am curious as to what you on the board would consider a fair price?

fabric_fancy 04-08-2011 02:19 AM

i'm shocked that someone would hand quilt a queen size quilt for $400

jtquilts 04-08-2011 02:22 AM

Shocked! How so?

sewcrafty 04-08-2011 02:30 AM

I think it would depend on how heavily quilted the individual wanted it. Try and figure out how long it would take you to do it and at least give yourself $15 hr min. Handquilting is going to increase the value of this quilt tremendously.

fabric_fancy 04-08-2011 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by jtquilts
Shocked! How so?

i think thats cheap, a double wedding ring has a lot of negative space that needs extra special quilting to make that area pop.

its all about the quilting on a double wedding ring

Hinterland 04-08-2011 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by jtquilts
The owner was quoted $400 previously and I am curious as to what you on the board would consider a fair price?

I hate to answer a question with a question, but since you're doing the work, what would you consider a fair price?

Even without knowing how closely it's quilted, it's going to take some hours away from other things. If you're like most of us, you have other quilting projects that you want to do and this will keep you from doing them.

I think $400 is really low, particularly if you look at what quilters are paying for custom machine quilting. But, sometimes having an extra $400 is a nice thing.

Janet

redmadder 04-08-2011 03:52 AM

Are you experienced at hand quilting? If so, estimate how long it will take to quilt one block, multiply that by the number of blocks. If you are not horrified at how long it will take, estimate what your time is worth. And don't forget the binding!

Oh, and send me the address of the person who will quilt it for $400.00. She might be who I'm looking for.

okiepastor 04-08-2011 03:55 AM

That is about in the ballpark of what the Amish charge--$400-500, but given I spent over 500 hours on a wall hanging, that would not be my price!
there are Kentucky quilters that do it for about that as well....

ckcowl 04-08-2011 03:58 AM

i know an amish woman who had quilts for people- she charges 3 1/2 cents per square inch.

kwhite 04-08-2011 03:59 AM

I don't think there is enough money in the world to make it worth it for the money alone. I just deliverd a hand quilted quilt a few weeks ago to a good friend. That is the only reason he got it. Hand quilting is a labor of love. IMO