Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Are Considered Solids? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-considered-solids-t212604.html)

JENNR8R 01-31-2013 08:21 PM

What Are Considered Solids?

2 Attachment(s)
I've been given a challenge to do for our guild's quilt show next year. The instructions say that I can only use solids. The first picture is the fabric that I was given.

Could I use the fabrics in the second picture as solids? They both have the same sort of "texture" to them, but the blue is harder to see. Or would those fabrics be considered some other category like "tone-on-tone"?

What is considered a solid? Opinions anyone?

linda faye 01-31-2013 08:28 PM

Quilting has a lot of gray areas when defining certain fabrics. Let us know what decision you get from whomever is sponsoring this challenge. Good luck!

Sandygirl 01-31-2013 08:36 PM

I would consider "solids" as just that..no pattern or texture. Solid color. You might want to verify this with the rule person.

Sandy

MTS 01-31-2013 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl (Post 5828993)
I would consider "solids" as just that..no pattern or texture. Solid color. You might want to verify this with the rule person.
Sandy

I'd also would consider "solids" just as Sandy did, and I'd refer to the fabrics in the 2nd pic as "blenders" or TOT's (tone-on-tone) fabric.

Maybe a few years ago it might have been different, but with the advent of the whole "modern" quilt movement, "solid" fabrics are pretty much defined as such (Kona Solids, Bella Solids, etc.).

I think if the challenge meant to include blenders, they would have stated it in the requirements.

Tartan 01-31-2013 09:17 PM

I would consider your 2 fabrics as tone on tone. As for solids, think paint swatches.

mighty 01-31-2013 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5829043)
I would consider your 2 fabrics as tone on tone. As for solids, think paint swatches.

I agree. Solid is solid the fabric you show here I consider tone on tone.

GrannieAnnie 01-31-2013 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R (Post 5828959)
I've been given a challenge to do for our guild's quilt show next year. The instructions say that I can only use solids. The first picture is the fabric that I was given.

Could I use the fabrics in the second picture as solids? They both have the same sort of "texture" to them, but the blue is harder to see. Or would those fabrics be considered some other category like "tone-on-tone"?

What is considered a solid? Opinions anyone?

IMO, a solid has NO, NONE, ZILCH, ZERO pattern to it at all. I'd call what you were given a tone on tone. But if they gave you a tonal as a solid then your other two fabrics ought to fit their bill of "solid" too.

GrannieAnnie 01-31-2013 11:32 PM

the first blue fabric shows up on my computer as a tone on tone blue. I'm assuming from other responses that I'm viewing it incorrectly for some reason.

Again---solid has no pattern at all.

GrannieAnnie 01-31-2013 11:36 PM

And another question about your rules?

"as long as you give proper credit due"???????????????????

So, who is going to decide what is original and what is not and what is in the public domain?

GrannieAnnie 01-31-2013 11:38 PM

Jenn, if you want some great ideas on quilts using solids, goggle Amish quilts. A traditional Amish quilt is made of solids only. You might get some good ideas of color combos and/or patterns.