Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what cutting machine do you think did this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-cutting-machine-do-you-think-did-t71770.html)

kriscraft99 10-23-2010 03:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm attaching a picture of a butterfly - and was wondering what machine you think cut this? Is this a specific die that was purchased or is there a place online to get free dies? I want to get one that I can put fusible webbing on fabric and use

Kris

watterstide 10-23-2010 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
I'm attaching a picture of a butterfly - and was wondering what machine you think cut this? Is this a specific die that was purchased or is there a place online to get free dies? I want to get one that I can put fusible webbing on fabric and use

Kris

my guess is, they are laser cut. not a die. hope someone else has more info for you..

Deecee 10-23-2010 04:05 AM

[quote=watterstide - my guess is, they are laser cut. not a die. hope someone else has more info for you..[/quote]

I agree but can't offer any more information..... but I would love one too!

luvspaper 10-23-2010 06:17 AM

Possibly a Cricut (used for vinyl and scrapbooking). What material is it made out of?

stefanib123 10-23-2010 06:22 AM

It was cut with a Cricut machine. I have the cartridge with that on it.

I've put on here over and over how awesome the Cricut machine is.

ETA:Kris, I just realized that was you posting! I just sent you an message about the Cricut!

Mailmanldy 10-23-2010 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by stefanib123
It was cut with a Cricut machine. I have the cartridge with that on it.

I've put on here over and over how awesome the Cricut machine is.

If only you didn't have to always use stablizers with it.......

Have you tried to just starch your fabric and then put it on the mat?? I haven't tried it yet, but if you get the fabric stiff enough, it "should" work.
One of the reasons I even bought my Cricut was to be able to cut out any shape I wanted to use for applique in my quilts... although I never really liked applique... LOL

But it is such a fun machine to play with. And since I found Make the Cut, and can truely cut just about any shape I can imagine, I really need to get it out and play with it some more.

stefanib123 10-23-2010 06:27 AM

Mailmanlady, I use SURE CUTS A LOT instead of Making the Cut. They work about the same, but there's a few things I like better with SCAL.

And it was the ONLY one you could get for a long time, so I kinda stuck with it.

I've been using it since it came out. I make my own SVG files, too. I've tried it without interfacing, and it works ok for simple pieces, but not the intricate ones.

I have taken the interfacing off after cutting, though.

I actually don't have a problem with it using the interfacing. I only use it for applique anyway. But, I was going to try and sell applique shapes, and most people didn't want the interfacing on it.

Holice 10-23-2010 06:34 AM

i doubt there is a place to get free dies.....they are expensive.

stefanib123 10-23-2010 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
i doubt there is a place to get free dies.....they are expensive.

I think what she means isn't "dies" but free files.

The Cricut machine can use files with a software program, you plug it into your computer instead of using dies. It can also use "cartridges" and they are a better deal that the machines that uses dies.

You can get them for $20-35 and each one has 100-250 images on it. Way better deal than the die machines.

BUT, most people don't use them at all. With the Cricut and a software program you can cut ANY image you can get on your computer screen FOR FREE.

np3 10-23-2010 06:56 AM

Love my Cricut!