Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What did I just do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-did-i-just-do-t212682.html)

BillieJean 02-03-2013 01:29 PM

I agree j crow I have been asked too, I won't do it either.
people ask for baby quilts like they are so nothing. I have done those but they don't appreciate them. They put them on the floor like a rug. I always cherished what I was given.
sorry to vent ..

Debbie C 02-03-2013 02:26 PM

I hope this turns out to be a good experience for you - I have not been so fortunate. I made a costume for a long-time friend and up front, told her what I expect in renumeration. This was an extremely detailed Disney character costume. I used good fabric and spent countless hours. Plus it was a size 26 dress!! There were several fittings. For my troubles, she wrote me a check for $35, one tenth of my original quote.....I was furious! Then her check bounced!! She wouldn't answer my calls; it's been a long time. Sad thing is, we were once good friends. I NEVER again put myself in that situation. It's too distressing.

johnniek 02-03-2013 03:33 PM

I also am staring a t-shirt quilt, for my DGD who is graduating in May from High School, hers will be done with all the sport t-shirts that she has worn, while playing softball and basketball. I have never made one so here goes.............

Wanabee Quiltin 02-03-2013 05:10 PM

You have a good heart. An idea here: let her buy the batting, backing and whatever else has to be bought: including all the thread. That way, she will know upfront what goes into this quilt. I had a friend ask me to bake and decorate her daughter's wedding cake and when I let her know what was expected in terms of buying the ingredients, she decided to buy a sheet cake from Sam's !! The day after I said I would bake the cake, her MIL asked me to bake her DGD's wedding cake too. I thought about all this and cancelled both of them.

Painiacs 02-03-2013 05:21 PM

Can you involve her in making it? Cut out tshirts, ironing on stabilizer! Pinning? Might get her interested in quilting and with help make it more enjoyable!!

Painiacs 02-03-2013 05:23 PM

Im making one for DD so ill be learning too jonniek!!

Rann 02-03-2013 09:18 PM

Just make sure she keeps her mouth shut or you will be inundated with requests.

mountain deb 02-03-2013 09:49 PM

This one guy asked me how much a quilt cost to make and I told him. You could see the shock on his face. It seems non quilters have no idea of the cost. So yes, keep her in the loop and go with her to help buy or you may wind up with the cheapest junk and will make putting the quilt together even worse ordeal for you.

Canada Kate 02-04-2013 06:02 AM

I am often asked to make things for people and I always decline, because I don't feel that my skill level is up to par. Non-quilters look at me like I am crazy when I tell them that, but I know where the mistakes are. I'm currently working on a quilt made out of Ohio Stars, and many of the points on the stars are cut off. I don't know why, because I thought my measuring and 1/4 stitching were fine. I was thinking about donating this quilt as an auction item in this fall's United Way appeal, but I don't know now, seeing the points cut off. I may be embarrassed to put this out there.

IBQUILTIN 02-04-2013 07:38 AM

Don't let the pressure of making a quilt for someone else get to you. Enjoy the quilt and you will have a lot of fun with it.