Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What a difference a different needle makes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-difference-different-needle-makes-t133849.html)

Elisabethann 06-28-2011 12:41 PM

I've been practicing FMQ and was getting frustrated. I couldn't get my tension right and the thread kept breaking and the stitches just didn't look right. Then I remembered in a class I took with Judy Irish she said she only uses Microtex metalic needles. For everything, not just FMQ. So, I changed needles and poof... all my problems were gone :) Stitches are more consistant, thread doesn't break and tension is good!

Off to have some more FMQ fun :)

ckcowl 06-28-2011 12:46 PM

a new sharp needle really makes all the difference in quilting- and piecing-
any time you are having skipped stitches, threads breaking, uneven stitching chances are you need a new needle-
the recommendation is to change needle every 8 hours of sewing time or with every new project...or if your stitching is no longer looking good....some fabrics dull needles faster than others. a sharp needle can make all the difference!

BellaBoo 06-28-2011 12:50 PM

I found the Organ titanium coated topstitch needles have eliminated all my tension and thread problems when FMQing. The 17/90 size works great for the size 50# thread I use. The needles last many time longer then regular needles. The one I'm using now has been in my machine for piecing for over six months and still sews like new.

Elisabethann 06-28-2011 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
a new sharp needle really makes all the difference in quilting- and piecing-
any time you are having skipped stitches, threads breaking, uneven stitching chances are you need a new needle-
the recommendation is to change needle every 8 hours of sewing time or with every new project...or if your stitching is no longer looking good....some fabrics dull needles faster than others. a sharp needle can make all the difference!

I am pretty good about replacing needles. I do it frequently, but I was using a universal needle I think? Or maybe a sharps? Don't remember now - will have to look. I stock up on them when Joann's has a 50% off sale.

Lori S 06-28-2011 12:53 PM

I like to use the metallic needles alot.. it makes seeing the eye of the needle soo much easier when doing other sewing .

craftybear 06-28-2011 01:06 PM

glad you got it fixed, have fun

Originally Posted by Elisabethann
I've been practicing FMQ and was getting frustrated. I couldn't get my tension right and the thread kept breaking and the stitches just didn't look right. Then I remembered in a class I took with Judy Irish she said she only uses Microtex metalic needles. For everything, not just FMQ. So, I changed needles and poof... all my problems were gone :) Stitches are more consistant, thread doesn't break and tension is good!

Off to have some more FMQ fun :)

MZStitch 06-28-2011 01:12 PM

I'm starting to quilt my latest quilt, my first batik. The salesperson at the sewing machine store told me I need "sharps" to quilt a batik. So I took my universal needle out, put my new "sharp" needle in and had to do numerous tear outs before finally getting rid of the sharp and putting a new universal needle back in. Argh, that was a waste of money. I'll have to look for metallic needles and give them a try!

carolaug 06-28-2011 01:16 PM

This is an interesting thread!!!I knew that there were quilting needles and they need to be sharp but I never heard of metallic needles. I learn so much here!

Elisabethann 06-28-2011 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
This is an interesting thread!!!I knew that there were quilting needles and they need to be sharp but I never heard of metallic needles. I learn so much here!

This place is great isn't it? I learn so much here too. That is what prompted me to share this bit of info with everyone.

It is my understand (as I have yet to play with metallic thread) that the metallic needles are for when you use metallic thread. Makes sense, but when I was telling my mom about it, she thought metallic referred to the look of the needle, not the function of it. The hole is a little bigger so there is less friction with the thread. I'm going to try them for piecing too and see what happens. I would love to just use one type of needle and not worry about changing them out all the time.

skothing 06-28-2011 02:43 PM

Micotex is different than metallic. Micotex needles do not make a big hole in your fabric when it goes down. Metallic needles have a lager eye.