Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do when lack Sewing Mood? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-when-lack-sewing-mood-t47315.html)

sabrinaquilts 05-27-2010 04:22 PM

What do you do when you can't seem to get back into the mood of quilting? I know for some that maybe a blasphemy, but let us just pretend seriously for a second. I don't mean burned out of doing quilting. Maybe unmotivated might be a better description. Quilting used to be an escape. I used to sew at least 3-8 hours everyday faithfully. Now I have a new sewing machine but even that is not working to boost my enthusiasim because I have to take classes to learn to really use it.

What do you do when you suddenly drop the desire to quilt and know you really need to get back into it?

amma 05-27-2010 04:22 PM

Find a new technique or fabric that inspires me :D:D:D

craftybear 05-27-2010 04:25 PM

just get your new machine out and start playing with it, have fun, pretend you are on vacation by yourself and sew, sew, sew

sabrinaquilts 05-27-2010 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
just get your new machine out and start playing with it, have fun, pretend you are on vacation by yourself and sew, sew, sew

My new machine is so fancy that I keep running into snags. I would have brought out one of my old sewing machines if the new one is not so heavy to move off my table. Until my class date I have to keep the new one out. Plus my DH proudly bought it for me. If I have it put away his heart will be broken. I will keep that in mind about bringing out the sewing machine. If I can figure out a way to have another machine out to sew on maybe I can get back into my escape again. Thanks!

DebraK 05-27-2010 04:32 PM

sometimes it's seasonal for me. I am not as active during the summer. I don't let the down time guilt me anymore. Keep your eyes open for ideas, make notes, save images, you'll come around again.

Up North 05-27-2010 04:33 PM

I do small projects when I can't get motivated. The Bow Tucks bag has been a good one.

roseOfsharon 05-27-2010 04:33 PM

*Smiling* Go to the classes and learn the ins and outs of the new machine and that will get you motivated again! I am thinking it is the unknowing of the new machine that is putting you off??

MadQuilter 05-27-2010 04:38 PM

What machine did you get? I just got a Babylock Espire and experienced a similar dilemma. So I signed up for the classes (had my first one last Monday) and cleaned my sewing room. THAT took a while. Now I am ready to go again.

When I hit the sewing blues, I usually look at the pictures section here and get inspired. Or I look through my magazines, find a pattern and make a plan. By that time, I am ready to sew again.

sabrinaquilts 05-27-2010 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
*Smiling* Go to the classes and learn the ins and outs of the new machine and that will get you motivated again! I am thinking it is the unknowing of the new machine that is putting you off??

Unfortuneately I was feeling this way before I got the new machine. I think that might be why my DH bought it to try to cheer me up. I was sick for 3 weeks where I had to stay on my bed and do nothing but hand work. I don't feel like I need to be bed ridden anymore but everytime I go into my sewing room I just sit in front of my machine. Sometimes I turn it on. I even entered a nice greeting for my machine to show when I first turn it on. I am thinking too that the new class will help me to feel more confident in using my new machine. :thumbup:

sabrinaquilts 05-27-2010 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
What machine did you get? I just got a Babylock Espire and experienced a similar dilemma. So I signed up for the classes (had my first one last Monday) and cleaned my sewing room. THAT took a while. Now I am ready to go again.

When I hit the sewing blues, I usually look at the pictures section here and get inspired. Or I look through my magazines, find a pattern and make a plan. By that time, I am ready to sew again.

I have the 820 Bernina 8 Series. I never owned a Bernina before. My other machines were Brothers, Babylock, and New Home.

Looking at the pictures as been awestruck. There really are some very talented people here. :thumbup: