Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what do you do with all your finished spools? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-all-your-finished-spools-t226009.html)

chairjogger 07-17-2013 09:47 AM

what do you do with all your finished spools?

1 Attachment(s)
I can't throw them away, after lots of machine quilting they really stack up.. Plastic, not wood any longer but thinking that there has to be a use for the spools.. Found mine ! I used only a few by comparison of what I own.. What do you do with you spools after quilting?
Face stamps one side, opposite side the corresponding face printed on circle and both glued to spool.

Peckish 07-17-2013 09:49 AM

I don't have any problem throwing them away. I don't need more useless stuff in my life and house. Too bad the manufacturers don't print the recycling symbol on the spool to let you know if you can recycle them.

sewmary 07-17-2013 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 6182256)
I don't have any problem throwing them away. I don't need more useless stuff in my life and house. Too bad the manufacturers don't print the recycling symbol on the spool to let you know if you can recycle them.

Me too. Away with clutter.

I throw mine in the recycle bin. We have one source recycling and everything goes together.

feline fanatic 07-17-2013 10:40 AM

I too have no problem throwing used spools away. But you may want to consider buying your thread by the cone instead of the spool if you do a lot of machine quilting. You are spending a small fortune on thread when it isn't necessary. It is much more economical to buy the large cones and very easy to adapt your machine to take them. You just need a coffee cup, a safety pin and some tape.

Gramie bj 07-17-2013 10:50 AM

I do keep some for Otis, my Avatar, If she can bat them around the room she will leave my thread alone, usually. LOL

DawnA 07-17-2013 11:05 AM

I would like to know how to use a cone instead of spools. Could someone explain what to do with the safety pin and tape. I know the cone goes in the cup.

sew4nin 07-17-2013 11:17 AM

I don't throw any spools away. There is a place here that takes all kinds of stuff like that. Teachers, troop leaders, etc.. can go in and get stuff for kids crafts. It is a really neat place. I try not to look at anything when I drop stuff off. I would hate to come home with more stuff!

Rosyhf 07-17-2013 11:21 AM

I purchase cones of thread and when they are empty, I make angles out of them......to give or sell.

Holice 07-17-2013 11:25 AM

Put the cone in a coffee can or other container to keep it frome toppling over. Put the large safety pin over the thread post and thread the thread thru it and on to the rest of the way. Can also use a jumbo paper clip.

Tartan 07-17-2013 11:26 AM

My plastic spools I usually toss out. Sometimes I will whittle the top of one off and jam it into the bottom of a cone thread so it with sit on my old singer spool pin holder.