Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do with your fabric scraps? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-your-fabric-scraps-t163144.html)

lgmdonna 10-25-2011 10:57 AM

What I mean is: the scraps that are oddly shaped, do you go ahead and cut them into squares and strips? Do you just leave it in it's wonky state?
I'm asking b/c I have 4 large tote boxes full of fabric. I am new to quilting but have had a year long love affair with wanting to quilt. So, I don't want to go out and purchase fabric when I have such a huge stash. This is overwhelming me.

Kat Sews 10-25-2011 11:01 AM

Check out Bonnie Hunter's method of using scraps at Quiltville.com

LisaGibbs 10-25-2011 11:04 AM

I cut them into 2.5 inch blocks or 1.5 inch blocks that I am saving in a plastic shoe box. Then if they are beyond use, put them in the pile for stuffing for dog beds for the Animal Shelter. I cut off the salvages and am saving them in an envelope to send off to another member on the board.

lgmdonna 10-25-2011 11:06 AM

What does the other member do with the selvages? Very curious.

luvstitches 10-25-2011 11:07 AM

I seperate them into light and dark scraps and do not cut them until I find a scrappy quilt pattern that I like.

Kristin in ME 10-25-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by luvstitches
I seperate them into light and dark scraps and do not cut them until I find a scrappy quilt pattern that I like.

Same here. I feel like I'd rather not do the work of cutting them until I know what I'm going to use them for, especially since what I end up making may use different sized pieces from what I would have cut them into.

QuiltnNan 10-25-2011 11:10 AM

i leave all of my scraps as they are... i never know what i'll need it for, so the shape comes later

thimblebug6000 10-25-2011 11:12 AM

I don't usually cut mine into squares until I find a scrappy quilt pattern I like, and then I work away at cutting those sizes when I have time. But the only reason I don't cut mine is because I love to appliqué and you can use some pretty small odd shaped pieces up when needing to only cut one small leaf or whatever.

Rhaorth 10-25-2011 11:51 AM

I don't cut mine either, just leave as is.

Have a question though, about scraps... when is a piece of fabric actually considered a scrap?

thevintageseamstress 10-25-2011 11:53 AM

Some I keep in a box that I use when I am working on a sewing machine (I sell a lot of old sewing machines...), that way I can see how it is stitching and make samples using the different attachments.

I don't like the ones that are all kinds a shapes so I straighten them up a little with my rotary cutter and put them in another box. I sometimes seperate them by color or theme, keeping all kids fabrics seperate. I keep the cottons seperate from the flannels too.

I have an old buffet in my basement I use as a cutting table and I store lots of scraps in the drawers and UFO's in the one side door and stuffing in other.