Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do with your quilts when they are finished? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-your-quilts-when-they-finished-t16441.html)

farscapegal 02-11-2009 07:28 PM

My "Just John" quilt is hanging on the wall the rest I use or give away. I do commission work too so those go to the clients when I get through with them.

Sybil

littlehud 02-11-2009 07:30 PM

I did do a wall hanging for my dad and am doing three baby quilts for my nieces. First ones I have given away.

lyndawn 02-11-2009 07:55 PM

I do not own one quilt that I made that is finished. I have given them all away! I find that by the time I finish them, I don't like them anymore..LOL Mostly I just get sick of them after working on them for sooo long. I enjoy seeing others use them though:)

Lynette

Caroltee 02-11-2009 08:36 PM

I love to sew I love to Quilt and create. I love how it makes me feel when I give something that I have made to someone . Feeling good is a good feeling. Every thing that I have given has made someone else happy too.

ScubaK 02-11-2009 09:47 PM

I take pictures of every quilt I make...now!
It wasn't always so when I first started out!
I have given away a ton of quilts...some my sis put away even though I specified they were for using for the kids...a ton of baby quilts...birthday quilts, etc...
I have about 5 or 6 that are in the closet for me...one I made early on and you can see the sloping of my flying geese blocks...hehe!
I have 3 more quilt tops awaiting...
2 more to be quilted....
3 quilts cut and waiting to be put together...
I have no idea what I will do with these nor any future ones...
Kirsten

k_jupiter 02-11-2009 11:39 PM

Define 'finished'. It's not in any quilting dictionary I have seen.

tim in san jose

sewhappy57 02-12-2009 12:03 AM

I've kept most of my quilts. Last Nov.11th I lost my best friend after a year long battle with the C word. Realizing life is short I started giving them away to great friends and family. I'm very happy about my decision to do this and so are they! :D :D :D

k3n 02-12-2009 12:57 AM

I have kept most of mine I'm afraid! I made one 'to order' for my Mum and Dad and Mum chose the fabrics - yeuch, they were not my taste at all and I got sick of looking at them! I vowed after that I would make quilts for others but ONLY with fabrics I chose! I made her 5 appliqué cushions with a flying geese border for Christmas using quite bright fabrics that I chose and she LOVED them but said she would never have DARED choose the individual fabrics herself! I think maybe non-quilters have trouble seeing how yardage can translate into a quilt when its cut up and pieced.

But when I see how very generous and productive all you ladies are, it makes me feel ashamed! I MUST be more generous AND less 'precious' about what I make. Most of mine are hung on the wall so they don't get 'spoiled' and that is NOT a good attitude to have! My kids have one each on their beds though and they just look better and better the more they're washed - there's a lesson in there somewhere!

K x

mpspeedy 02-12-2009 06:05 AM

Hi,

I have probably made over a hundered quilts of various sizes in the more than 40 years I have been doing this. Several were actually worn out with use on our beds. I have lots of smaller ones that were challenges or that I made as mementos of various trips we took. I usually manage to find a fabric shop everywhere we go. The first 20+ years I was married we had a queen size waterbed. The quilts I made for it don't fit my present air bed so I had an excuse to make more. I also am a prolific maker of Linus quilts and I make quilts as baby presents etc. All of my step-children and their children have at least one quilt. My nieces and nephews are reproducing and their children also get quilts .
I do handquilting for hire so many quilts have passed through my hands that I don't now possess. I just finished an I Spy quilt to give to my daughter's former college roommate for her little girl. If my daughter ever has a child I know I will be making quilts for him or her. In fact I have a baby quilt made and ready in which I used Sunbonnet Sue and Sam blocks that my mother pieced and appliqued before her death.

sandpat 02-12-2009 06:12 AM

I give some of them away to friends for just being nice to us, babies, etc., and then of course to Project Linus and the rest are piled on a guest bed under an ugly comforter until I can get DH to build me a house so I can display them. Oh...I do have a couple on the sofa.