Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you put on your quilt label? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-put-your-quilt-label-t206339.html)

coffeebreak 11-18-2012 03:46 PM

What do you put on your quilt label?

I am making labels for the quilts I am making my grand kids for christmas. I would love to hear what ya'll have "said" on your labels.
Need suggestions for:

I am including a bible verse on each of them. Where do I put that..between the "to"and the childs name and the "from" and my name? Put is first, then the "to" and "from"? Or after all that?

I figure "Made especially for: (child's name) to start, and then ending with....they call me Nanny, but should I put something like "your grandmother, Nanny" or .......?

I have a step grand son...don't know him very well..he is 11. But I hope that we can get better acquainted.And he calls me by my first name..as his mother wasn't married to my son, when we first met. Now that they are married...I am not sure if he wants to call me Nanny as he is 11 and getting older, and I am not able to ask him what he'd like to call me. Unless I can find that out...what do you suggest I put on his quilt for the "from" signature?

Thanks so much for any help!

donac 11-18-2012 03:50 PM

I had once read that you should make sure that you include your maiden name on the quilt.

I have been married for 34 years. I took my dh's name with no problem and never use my maiden name not even for a middle initial. I do sign with my maiden name on a quilt. I read once that it will tell the future owners which side of the family it came from.

fayzer 11-18-2012 04:22 PM

Whatever you say, it must come from your heart. I put this on my granddaughters quilt.
"When you wrap up in your quilt, know that every inch was stitched for you with love and a piece of my heart was shared. Your Gram, my name, Christmas 1012

coffeebreak 11-18-2012 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by fayzer (Post 5665969)
Whatever you say, it must come from your heart. I put this on my granddaughters quilt.
"When you wrap up in your quilt, know that every inch was stitched for you with love and a piece of my heart was shared. Your Gram, my name, Christmas 1012

That is beautiful. Think it'd be to much to put that same thing on each child's quilt?

117becca 11-18-2012 04:49 PM

It depends.....Sometimes I have included a family history of the quilt, other times I just put the To:.... Love, ..... I always date the quilt.

Tashana 11-18-2012 05:25 PM

I have two standard labels. For example:

Star shine quilt by Mary Smith
Designed by Jane Doe
Somewhere, xy
Date

Or:

Summer breeze quilt by
Jane Doe
Someplace, xy
Date

If it is for my family or a friend I may include a note on top part of the label.

I am sure this is not the "right" or the only way but that is what I do.
Good luck!

Scissor Queen 11-18-2012 05:41 PM

My labels say,

"name of quilt"
made especially for
name name
by her/his
grandma/aunt/great aunt (whatever my relationship to them is)
my whole name

If somebody else quilts it I add

professionally quilted by
their name

AliKat 11-19-2012 03:04 PM

For someone really special I prefer not to consider it a label but a part of the backing. I'll include a saying/poem/ or other pertinent wording.

Then I do the name of the quilt, who it is for, my name and city, and then the date.

Having said the above I will now admit that due to some medication I am on for a little while more I cannot process making the labels the way I want. So I am giving 2 quilts with pigma pen writing on them and keeping it simple.

We do what we can. And I'm glad for all that I can do!

ali