Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-t224204.html)

Sarah in Brooklyn 06-21-2013 09:33 AM

What do you think?

1 Attachment(s)
These aren't ideal viewing conditions but what do you think of this granite-like fabric as sashing for my funny lotteria card blocks? I sort of like it but I don't trust myself![ATTACH=CONFIG]420337[/ATTACH]

tezell0801 06-21-2013 09:36 AM

Well, since you asked I will be honest, I don't care for it. I think something more colorful in the colors in the blocks would look nicer. Something red, blue, yellow or green. Love the blocks too!

Sarah in Brooklyn 06-21-2013 09:39 AM

Thanks. My initial thought was going with something dark that would pick up a color in the blocks. I just came across this and wondered....I appreciate your honesty!

Originally Posted by tezell0801 (Post 6135353)
Well, since you asked I will be honest, I don't care for it. I think something more colorful in the colors in the blocks would look nicer. Something red, blue, yellow or green. Love the blocks too!

snipforfun 06-21-2013 09:46 AM

Look great! If it looks good to you then it is good! I took classes a few years back from Freddy Moran. She is all about color and not do much about quilting. One thing she taught that I have done many times, and probably more than I should have, is to use something that gives your a rest between colorful blocks. In her quilts I noticed she used lots of black and white. I have used lots of black and white polka dots to break up the colors. Last year I made a Dios deLos Muertos quilt. Very colorful fabric broken up with the polka dots. Wish I had kept a picture of it.

quilt addict 06-21-2013 09:51 AM

I am not familiar with that line and if they have different colorways. I think it tones down your nice card blocks. I think I agree with trying to find something either brighter or very dark neutral.

Tartan 06-21-2013 09:52 AM

I like the swirly granite fabric! It picks up the blue and white well and anything brighter I think would over shadow the blocks.

Sarah in Brooklyn 06-21-2013 09:53 AM

It's a good idea to use something restful to balance out the color. I'm going to play around with that.

Originally Posted by snipforfun (Post 6135364)
Look great! If it looks good to you then it is good! I took classes a few years back from Freddy Moran. She is all about color and not do much about quilting. One thing she taught that I have done many times, and probably more than I should have, is to use something that gives your a rest between colorful blocks. In her quilts I noticed she used lots of black and white. I have used lots of black and white polka dots to break up the colors. Last year I made a Dios deLos Muertos quilt. Very colorful fabric broken up with the polka dots. Wish I had kept a picture of it.

Jingle 06-21-2013 10:09 AM

I think I would use a green the color in one of the blocks. Just my opinion. Your quilt do as you like.

ranger 06-21-2013 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6135381)
I like the swirly granite fabric! It picks up the blue and white well and anything brighter I think would over shadow the blocks.

I agree with Tartan. This fabric seems perfect as the background fabric.

gale 06-21-2013 10:57 AM

The fabric looks like a totally different style to me. The print in the blocks is very distinct. The marble-y fabric is more subtle.