Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you use for your FMQ presser foot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-use-your-fmq-presser-foot-t150335.html)

SUZAG 09-04-2011 09:52 AM

Well, this site has inspired me to want to give FMQ a try. I went on-line to order a presser foot for my Singer Futura CE-150 (low shank/snap on) and found too many choices! There were plastic ones with 1/4 and 1/2" markings, metal circles, metal open circles, big foot, some have the springy-thingy on top, some don't...I'm confused! What serves you the best? Have you had any problems with the plastic breaking? Thanks in advance for your help!

erstan947 09-04-2011 10:02 AM

I have the Singer Futura CE-100 and use the embroidery foot
that came with the machine:) However, I'm not very good using it.....maybe one day with LOTS of practice:)

SuziC 09-04-2011 10:04 AM

My machine came with the plastic foot with the "spingy thing" as you call it. It works great and i haven't had any trouble. FMQ is fun once you get the hang of it....LOL

Ladyjanedoe 09-04-2011 10:12 AM

It all comes down to preference. The one thing that I really like is an open toe. I like to clearly see where the needle goes into the fabric. I don't like the Big Foot ones or anything with the clear plastic encircling the entire stitching area. I bought an $80 free motion conversion kit for my Janome where there are three different feet to try. And you know what? I found that my favorite FM foot is the basic darning foot one that came standard with the machine :) Figures.

Check out Leah Day's site on FMQ. She even gives tips to customizing a foot if you wind up with one you don't like. Good luck!

Prism99 09-04-2011 10:20 AM

For FMQ, you definitely need a foot with a spring. This type of foot is called a "jumping" foot. This foot needs to press down to hold the quilt sandwich in place when the needle is down and a stitch is being made, then move back up with the needle so you can move the quilt sandwich.

I like a small, round, clear, open-toe foot. Gives me the best visibility.

hikingquilter 09-04-2011 10:30 AM

I have a Singer also. It came with darning/embroidery foot that I use. It has an arm that goes above the presser foot control so that it presses down when the needle goes down.

GreatStarter 09-04-2011 10:58 AM

I love the open metal circle foot, with spring. I have tried the plastic ones, the closed metal circles, and others that came with machines. I was so frustrated trying to fmq (after taking fmq classes from three different teachers). At last class another student noticed my quilting foot and said here borrow mine and try. It felt like a total different experience with the open-circle metal/spring quilting foot (sometimes called darning foot). It also has the arm that hooks over the screw so the foot goes up and down nicely. It still takes lots of practise to fmq, but I am now improving since I got this type of foot.
Good luck and I hope you find a foot that works well for you and your machine.

Kat

4dogs 09-04-2011 11:00 AM

I have a problem with the open toe one...I sometimes get caught in a stitch that I already did / did that make sense?

annthreecats 09-04-2011 11:06 AM

I have an open toe darning foot that is spring loaded for my Bernina 1530. Works great.

auntpiggylpn 09-04-2011 11:06 AM

Everybody's right! I just signed up for a FMQ class and at the top of the paper it states that you have to have a darning or FMQ foot, it is a MUST!