Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What does the Quilting Police look like? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-does-quilting-police-look-like-t161153.html)

2manyhobbies 10-18-2011 02:48 PM

Looks suspiciously like someone with too much time on his or her hands. (Remember that scene from the Music Man--'Talk A Little, Pick A Little)?

madamekelly 10-18-2011 02:48 PM

Quilt police always start sentences with words like "You have to..., You must never..., You should have..., That is done wrong..., etc. :lol:

madamekelly 10-18-2011 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ccthomas

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
My quilt police who judges my quilts so harshly looks very much like the lady I see in the mirror. Mind you, this police woman only picks on me. Her voice says "if you are going to put the effort into this, you need to make it your best effort. This seam could be moved over just a whisker."

I wish she would be quiet sometimes.

I see and hear this same person when I do anything. Years and years and she just will never "be quiet." Intellectually I know better but my HEART .....and I try so hard to "Please" and I really do want to be a quilter - to do it right - to obey those rules as I do like the "beautiful quilts" and I know if I do follow most of the "rules" I will have better seams, piecing, quilting and .... quilts.

If "you know you will have better seams, piecing, quilting....quilts", you are comparing your art work to some one else's art work. That is a well planned recipe for discouragement. Michaelangelo didn't care, if they noticed he used the faces of workmen and neighbors, on the Sistine Chapel, and neither should we.

Keep Them In Stitches 10-18-2011 02:53 PM

EEEEWWW! I guess I better check those points and seams again.

MsLoriAnn 10-18-2011 03:02 PM

Don't they usually have pursed lips and a disapproving look?

Lori

sandybuttons 10-18-2011 03:23 PM

I ran into the QP in the first class I took. Was working on my first sampler and she said in a loud voice no one puts yellow in their quilts!! The look on my face must have shown distress, but if there are QP there are the kind hearted teacher who came to my rescue and said that any color was fair game for quilting and she thought my choice of yellow went well with the purple flowers. I decided the teacher knew best and I find I still put alot of yellow in my quilts. I don't remember what the QP looked like, but I will remember her words for ever,

sandybuttons 10-18-2011 03:23 PM

oops

NanaCsews2 10-18-2011 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by auniqueview

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2

Originally Posted by QuiltE
They have good disguises, and look quite like normal quilters.
Check their tongue .... as that's the true indentifying factor!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know a few that don't quilt at all. And, those ones raise one eyebrow, smirk, and always always tell us they can get it cheaper at Walmart.

I thought the Q.P. would not be caught dead buying fabric at Walmart? Hmmmm. I thought I was safe being seen there, lol. (tho to tell the truth, haven't seem much fabric I would buy there right now)

They aren't buying fabric, they are buying a 'handmade store-bought' quilt. Some that criticize the talents and hard work of others steal that joy by nitpicking over some of the work a quilter does, then merely state in a sarcastic tone that they can buy one cheaper at Walmart. Or any other retailer for that matter. I should have clarified.

madamekelly 10-18-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by MsLoriAnn
Don't they usually have pursed lips and a disapproving look?

Lori

And a toe tapping?

Debbie C 10-18-2011 04:12 PM

And what comes out of their mouths is not very nice!

Originally Posted by vjengels
Yeah, they wear alot of disguises, but they always end up wearing a 'church lady' look on their faces when they happen upon someone elses quilt