Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What exactly IS minky? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-exactly-minky-t188146.html)

denveremerson 05-05-2012 02:04 PM

What exactly IS minky?

This may sound silly to some of you, but I've never heard of minky before. What is it? Is it a regional name for something else? What is its fabric content? Does it have a backing like velour has a tricot backing? Does it stretch? I'm puzzled.

Holice 05-05-2012 02:31 PM

no and yes to your questions. It is not regional.
It is a high fleese type fabric that is very stretchy and very soft. Usually comes with pattern woven into the fabric.
Many like it for backing. However, many report that it is a beast to work with as it doe stretch and takes care in working with it. Washable, tricote backing. Probably need to work with it using a walking foot to keep the layers flat and even. Suggest trying a small piece to test if it is something you would want to work with. The story I have been told is that it was named "minkey" because the head of the fabric manufacturer who introduced it had a quilt when he was small that he called "Minkey".

Tartan 05-05-2012 02:38 PM

Minky is a super soft modern fabric that feels like plush velour? It's softer than fleece with a kind of short fur texture. It comes in plain and with dimples. I first saw it used about 5 yrs. ago in baby blankets. Some people like it for backing their quilts because of the cozy texture. I believe it is a man made fiber and has more stretch selvage to selvage and less stretch on the lengthwise. I haven't used it for a quilt back yet because it is a little trickier to work with. The one thing it does do is make lots of fluffies when cut. Maybe someone who has worked with it will give you more info.

nanOmint 05-05-2012 02:44 PM

Thank you Denveremerson for asking and Holice for the answer. I didn't know either. My DD had a baby blanket given her. She asked me to do something with it as we were afraid she would drop the baby as the back of it was as you discribe. I gave it a dozen tack stiches with the sewing machine as we didn't think tying or quilting were good design options.

TexasSunshine 05-06-2012 03:57 AM

Minky is 100% polyester, washes up beautifully, is very soft and cozy. It does stretch so you have to take care but it is not that hard to work with. I have used it on back of baby quilts. You can spray baste it also. I have also used it on the back and brought it around to the front for binding and machine stitched it down. It is also 60" wide which is nice.

EvelynJ 05-06-2012 06:28 AM

Wow, such great information. I'll have to get some soon and try making aomething with it. It sounds like a feel I would like for me in the wintertime. Thanks everyone.

BellaBoo 05-06-2012 07:03 AM

I've only seen it in soft pastel colors. Walmart here has several bolts of it mixed in with the baby pre quilted fabric. It's not fun to sew at all.

krysti 05-06-2012 08:48 AM

Thank you so much for asking the question--I have been wondering about it as well since I've been seeing it here on the board more and more. Also, thank you to those who have answered the question as well. This is my something new learned today :)

PaperPrincess 05-06-2012 12:07 PM

I think the spelling of the original fabric is Minkee (MINKEE BLANKEE) and was introduced by Benartex. Other spelling variations are versions of the fabric made by other manufacturers.

sahm4605 05-06-2012 01:23 PM

It is a silky soft fluffy material that I just love. I have made many quilts out of it and just spray basted the top to the back of the minkee. I love how it cuddles. if you go to Joanns they usually have a section by the flannel section that is minkee like fabrics. they usually call them soft and comfy. the first quilt I made with minkee was a mess because I used pins. If you are going to use it spray baste spray baste spray baste. it helps keep things in place the best. I had a bunch of store bought ones when I had my dd and my ds before i started to quilt myself. I loved those the best.