Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the fascination in antique Singer sewing machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-fascination-antique-singer-sewing-machines-t130324.html)

apiarist 06-13-2011 09:35 PM

With modern machines providing almost perfect tension, a vast array of stitches and reliability second to none - why do so many of you crave these older machines? I do have an old Singer treadle, but I have great difficulty sewing on it and it is only used as an ornament in the corner.

quiltingcandy 06-13-2011 09:47 PM

For me, the fascination is the fact something so old that is still working in itself is a marvel. But mostly, my treadle is one that belonged to my great aunt and using it is just plain fun. The rest of the family thought I was crazy until I made my sister try it, then she had fun and even felt she was getting exercise at the same time. My other machine is the one I learned to sew on, and it still works as well as it did in 1950. Had a great laugh when I used the zig zag attachment and it was throwing the fabric back and forth. (Something I had forgotten.)

I have featherweights because they are so darn cute!!! And they sew well too, and I have 3 because I didn't know show to stop the bid once I won the first one. Oh well. So maybe I will have one painted, but not right now. May sell the extras too. Not sure what I want to do.

But the older machines work so well and the newer machines seem to crash from time to time. I do have the Janome 6600 and love it!!! So I use the other machines for other things.

apiarist 06-13-2011 09:52 PM

Maybe it is my treadle machine that is at fault and would benefit by an overhaul. Who knows it may be reinstated yet!

TonnieLoree 06-13-2011 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by apiarist
With modern machines providing almost perfect tension, a vast array of stitches and reliability second to none - why do so many of you crave these older machines? I do have an old Singer treadle, but I have great difficulty sewing on it and it is only used as an ornament in the corner.

Thank you for this thread. I don't "get it" either. I have always wanted to ask this question, so I am so glad that you asked it first. Seriously, what IS the big deal? I think that you and I are in for a huge amount of flack, but I did not start it. :wink:

alikat110 06-13-2011 10:15 PM

Nostalgia. I remember my grandmother teaching me how to sew on one.

Lucky Patsy's 06-13-2011 10:29 PM

I cant take apart a computerized machine and work on it myself, but I can with the older mechanical machines! It is fun to tinker! I also think many of the older machines are a thing of beauty in and of themselves. And I am sentimental, I love knowing who first owned these machines, and like to imagine where they have been and what was created with them. :D

purplemem 06-13-2011 10:43 PM

Here are my reasons to want a treadle:
1. My grandmother had one that I used to sew
2. It does not need electricity
3. I like the "oldness" of it, recycling and reusing things past
4. I want the exercise as I have very limited leg movements

I don't want the featherweight, or hundreds more, just a good working treadle. I'll find one someday, when I have time and money at the same instance.

Granna of 5 06-13-2011 10:57 PM

I was amazed that I saw 4 this past week end at yard sales. I thought of all of the people on here who love them. I don't have an interest in them myself.

zennia 06-13-2011 11:07 PM

Glad you asked because I don't understand it either. I have an old treadle machine and use it for an accent table. Never thought of trying to sew with it.

redmadder 06-14-2011 01:47 AM

It took me a while to figure out why I love sewing on the 1941 Singer 15-30 versus all the other machines we have around, no high dollar ones with perfect tension, etc.

Its the sound. Best I can tell without research is that it sews in A sharp. The New Home is E flat and I might as well be grinding corn.

I wonder if manufacturers are onto this?

Should mention we come from hillbilly musicians.