Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What features do you actually use on your sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-features-do-you-actually-use-your-sewing-machine-t20538.html)

butterflywing 05-25-2009 07:28 PM

i use everything. i garment sew, so i use the buttonhole programs, too.

i even use the little grommet hole thingy stitch. it looks like a hole with overcast stitches all around the inside edge. good for running ribbons through for baby gifts.

motomom 05-25-2009 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i even use the little grommet hole thingy stitch

Gee, I don't have one of those on mine. Sounds cool! :D

blahel 05-26-2009 12:36 AM

i have a Bernina 180 Artista which i bought second hand and I am :oops: embarassed to say I have only used the basic things on it like walking foot, 1/4 inch foot, straight stitch, zig zag and have only practised very few decorative stitches...one day when i get big and brave i may try a few new things....like the embroidery stuff that came with it and the free hand system etc, etc..

Skeat 05-26-2009 03:27 AM

My favorite 2 options are on my Janome 6600 are the knee lifter, (so I can sew using both hands espec on applique) and my automatic thread cutter....oh, and I like the drop in bobbin (way cool there!)oh, and my needle threader to get that thread in the needle....oh, the speed...oh, and the throat room....oh, I better quit now:)As you can see, I just love this machine...we get along so great!! Skeat

Ninnie 05-26-2009 05:00 AM

I have a 12 year old small singer that came from Wall Mart.
It has a few fancy stitches, which I have never used. :D
I use the foot that came on it
forward
backwards
bobbin filler
foot pedal
and when I can't find my scissors, the thread cutter!! :D

BUT, in my dreams, I have a embroidery machine and one of those fancy Berninas that do every thing and I have nothing else that I have to do but sew.sew, sew! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mostly I just use a #12 quilting needle and a thimble!

So all of you that have the fancy things. remember me on my Birthday! :lol: :lol: ( I just remembered, I stopped having them 10 years ago.)

Ninnie

leahday 05-26-2009 05:08 AM

Nice question!

I have a Juki TL98QE and a Bernina Activa 210. I use the knee lifter on both daily, open toe free motion foot, and quarter inch foot.

I do occasionally need a walking foot for binding, but that's the only thing I need it for. I recently purchased a high powered LED light for both machines, but unfortunately it's almost too bright - blinding - so I rarely turn it on.

I've also owned an Activa 240 and never once used all the extra stitches. It's really unnecessary!

Kj05 05-26-2009 05:09 AM

My new favorite features of my new sewing machine are the needle up/down and the threader. I doubt I'll really use the fancier stitches any time soon so they're not a high priority on my list, but they're still there!

(I have a janome dc3050)

Rose Marie 05-26-2009 07:40 AM

Needle down and stay stitch are what I use most.
I love the 10inch throat, that is my favorite feature.
My machine does lots of stuff but have not used it. Even forgot how to use the fancy stitchs.
I would like an embroidery machine that has a large area so I could quilt blocks with fancy designs.

Ducky 05-26-2009 07:53 AM

MadQuilter talked about her 1/4" foot. That has to be my favorite. My Pfaff has about a billion different stitches (well, maybe a few less...) that I want to play with.

k3n 05-26-2009 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie

Mostly I just use a #12 quilting needle and a thimble!

Ninnie

Ninnie, no wonder your quilting is so fantastic! That's not a needle, it's a fairy's hair! :D

K x