Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What features do you actually use on your sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-features-do-you-actually-use-your-sewing-machine-t20538.html)

Ninnie 05-27-2009 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt
Machines make button holes?? REALLY????? lol :roll:

mine doesn't! :wink: :wink:

Ninnie

crafty lady 05-27-2009 03:44 PM

I really appreciate my auto threader. I will not buy another machine without it! I try to use as many new stitches as I can. I love all the specialties, including the low bobbin signal.

adrianlee 05-27-2009 03:44 PM

I love the knee lifter on my old Bernina 830, that machine has a million miles on it. The new Pfaff I use the stitches for quilting, making clothes, doing crafts, that's what it was purchased for. I love the way it does buttons holes, a no brainer there and I need all the help now days. I had to purchase the walking foot for the Bernina but the Pfaff came with it built in and it's great. I love the 1/4 inch foot and the stitch-in-the-ditch, I guess I use just about all the features on this machine at one time or another depending on projects.

GailG 05-29-2009 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
In addition to what's been mentioned, I use the 1/4" foot for quilting seams and the stitch-in-the-ditch foot for well, you know....

I like the stitch length adjustment feature on my Pfaff and the needle position adjustment feature.

There are also some nice decorative stitches.

Yes, the quarter-inch foot and the stitch-in-the-ditch foot (also this is the foot that I use for the blind hem). Love the needle-down on the Janome (my other machines don't have that feature). I love the feature that knots the thread for me. As far as the needle threader -- I have been very successful with it. I find if I do move my needle to the right, it is better. Oh yes, and the feature that moves the needle. Ido use a few of the decorative stitches.

conniejean 05-30-2009 10:50 AM

I have a Viking Designer I. The pressure foot lifts with the needle down every time I stop sewing so don't need the knee lifter. I love this feature. Also love the needle threader, bobbin winding without rethreading (you can even do it through the needle), drop in bobbin, sewing adviser, thread cutter, embroidery feature, needle positiions, etc, etc, etc.

JoanneS 05-30-2009 06:21 PM

I finally figured out that I don't need a knee lift with my Pfaff 2170 - I just tap the foot and it goes up - another tap and it goes back down.

I also figured out how to put the needle down for paper piecing without the pressure foot going down, too. I 'fool' the pressure foot by starting to put the needle down; the foot goes down, but I haven't put the needly in the paper; then I raise the foot and REALLY put the needle down. If anyone knows a setting that eliminates the extra 2 steps, please clue me in!

Rose Marie 05-31-2009 06:33 AM

I have the Viking Sapphire and it has the needle down with the foot lift.
I love that feature and thought it was on all the new machines so did not mention it before.