Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Was The First Quilt You Made? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-first-quilt-you-made-t67090.html)

Becky Crafts 09-28-2010 06:51 AM

Sadiemae, at the risk of sounding numb what is a stack and whack? Sounds interesting! LOL! I'm new to this and a lot of the terminology is going right over my head. Would love to see your quilt.

finch 09-28-2010 06:53 AM

My first quilt was a log cabin.I still have that awful looking thing and I even named it my quilt from that hot place.I still look at it once in a while to remind me of how much I have improved over time.

sheila bee 09-28-2010 06:55 AM

Trip around the world..when i was a teenager.. about 40 some years ago !!! Until then I helped my grandma and mom ...

moonangel12 09-28-2010 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by MrsM
The first quilt I made was a Log Cabin using Eleanor Burns, book. It made me so nervous cutting up $50.00 of fabric just to sew it back together. I really questioned my sanity, but was delighted and proud of the results. :D

You know, that's not something I have ever thought of, but now that you mention it, it does sound pretty silly! :lol:

jbj137 09-28-2010 07:05 AM

Appliqued Maple leaves on
6" pale yellow kettle cloth
for my daughters antique bed.
Way back in 1978 (I think).
J J

Quilting Nana 09-28-2010 07:06 AM

I made my first quilt for my first son. It was fussy cut squares with a boarder.
I think I tied it.
That was 36 years ago.

Kellie G 09-28-2010 07:22 AM

My first finished quilt was a bargello quilt in blues for my cousin who had a baby boy. That boy is now 15 years old next month. I am told they still have the quilt tucked away in the top of a closet.

Arleners 09-28-2010 07:24 AM

My first quilt was an alternating Ohio Star. I saw the pattern in a crochet book made out of Granny Squares. I drew it and used templates to make out of fabric. We used that quilt for many years before the patches started to fray. (I didn't use very good fabric I guess) It has now gone to quilt heaven, but I remember it fondly.

Janebird 09-28-2010 07:28 AM

I made a 9" square quilt and quilted it in the ditch. It's far from perfect - lots of unmatching corners - but I learned a lot and it keeps me warm!

I'm with Rosey 09-28-2010 07:29 AM

I made the first quilt when my son was about to graduate from high school. I decided to make it with no pattern, no how-to books, and really no plan. He would graduate in June, I thought I could finish quickly-I started it the end of April- all hand appliqued with freeform suns. I sang "You are my sunshine" to him when he was a baby! My sewing machine died a painful death and I did every bit, every seam by hand. It was a labor of love and ignorance is bliss. He brought it with him through college, law school and marriage(although his wife doesn't like it). I learned many lessons doing that quilt, it is a very fond and dear memory!